Dartmouth Hazing Scandal: From Student Newspaper Column to Rolling Stone

The Dartmouth University hazing scandal first brought to light earlier this semester in the school’s student newspaper is featured prominently in the current edition of Rolling Stone.

Confessions of an Ivy League Frat Boy: Inside Dartmouth’s Hazing Abuses” is a “meditation on class, violence, and power in Dartmouth’s overheated campus culture.”  The piece premiered online yesterday to oodles of interwebs chatter.

The hazing fanfare began in late January, with a column in The Dartmouth by senior Andrew Lohse (pictured in the screengrab above) outlining the many degrading acts he allegedly endured while pledging a fraternity in 2010.

As he wrote in the piece, headlined “Telling the Truth”: “I was a member of a fraternity that asked pledges, in order to become a brother, to: swim in a kiddie pool full of vomit, urine, fecal matter, semen and rotten food products; eat omelets made of vomit; chug cups of vinegar, which in one case caused a pledge to vomit blood; drink beers poured down fellow pledges’ ass cracks; and vomit on other pledges, among other abuses. Certainly, pledges could have refused these orders. However, under extreme peer pressure and the desire to ‘be a brother,’ most acquiesced.”

The Rolling Stone report explores some of the extreme activities Lohse describes, while also turning a spotlight on him.  In respect to the latter, an IvyGate post calls it “a comprehensive character assassination of its main subject– Lohse– whom editor Janet Reitman portrays as a violent, pretentious, alcoholic, mentally ill, status-anxious, back-stabbing drug addict.”