Daily Illini is Up $150,000; For the First Time, Students Will Help Fund the Paper (@TheDailyIllini)

Late last week, University of Illinois students voted to approve a $3-per-student-per-semester fees increase to help support The Daily Illini.  It is the first time the paper’s operating company Illini Media has asked for such assistance.

As The News-Gazette confirms, “The new student media fee is expected to generate more than $120,000 a semester, or about 12 percent of Illini Media’s 2011-12 operating budget. . . . [W]ith a changing media landscape, Illini Media says it can no longer rely on advertising revenue to cover expenses. The newspaper’s page count has been shrinking, student editors are paid very little and earlier this year, it owed $250,000 to creditors.”

The paper’s financial plight earned nationwide attention earlier this semester for a fundraising letter written by movie critic Roger Ebert.  In his letter, Ebert, a former editor-in-chief of the student paper, wrote, “It is possible the Daily Illini could cease publication. . . . Many, including myself, would say that they owe their careers at least in part to their experience at Illini Media.  It’s now time to give back.”

According to a Daily Nebraskan report, the paper has brought in roughly $30,000 in donations since the Ebert letter began circulating.

3 Responses to “Daily Illini is Up $150,000; For the First Time, Students Will Help Fund the Paper (@TheDailyIllini)”
  1. […] Daily Illini is Up $150,000; For the First Time, Students Will Help Fund the Paper […]

2. […] student organizations are taking the route that the Daily Illini did earlier this month, and pushing for increases or creation of student fee subsidies. After announcing a several […]