For the First Time, Black Students Serving as Editors-in-Chief of Oregon, Oregon State Campus Papers (#acpsea)

In Oregon, a state sporting “a black population of less than 2 percent,” student press history has recently been made.  For the first time at either the University of Oregon or Oregon State University, a black student has been named editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper.

Tyree Harris is EIC of The Daily Emerald at UO.  Brandon Southward is the EIC of The Daily Barometer at OSU.  In the introduction to a new on-air interview, NPR calls their respective appointments a landmark first.

Speaking about the significance of assuming the EIC role, Southward said, “Especially in Oregon, having a person of color be in a leadership position, especially being the first, I hope that it inspires others. I mean, that’s kind of weird for me to say at 23, that I want people to be inspired to be like me, but I hope it inspires more diversity within the newsroom. And I think what both me and Tyree are doing is very important and this is a big moment in time for our college newspapers. And, hopefully, we won’t be the last editors of color for a while.”

Brandon Southward

Tyree Harris

One Response to “For the First Time, Black Students Serving as Editors-in-Chief of Oregon, Oregon State Campus Papers (#acpsea)”
  1. […] For the First Time, Black Students Serving as Editors-in-Chief of Oregon, Oregon State Campus Papers […]