The Vermont Cynic’s Presidential Scoop: Student Paper Confirms UVM’s New Leader with 3 Knocks on a Door

The Vermont Cynic, the student newspaper at the University of Vermont, scooped all local press and even its own school yesterday by confirming UVM’s choice for president prior to this morning’s official announcement.

The best part?  Cynic staffers grabbed a related confirmation simply by knocking on a door.  In an attempt to confirm reports that a top candidate was quietly receiving a tour of UVM’s presidential mansion with his wife yesterday afternoon, a staff member knocked three times on the residence’s front door.  The school official who answered said, simply, “This is not a good time.  I am giving a tour to the new president.”

Cynic editor-in-chief Brent Summers, who wrote the main story, told me, “Through live tweets with photos, a story up immediately and amazing team effort, we beat all other local news outlets and broke the story.”

2 Responses to “The Vermont Cynic’s Presidential Scoop: Student Paper Confirms UVM’s New Leader with 3 Knocks on a Door”
  1. […] The Free Press, which led its front page with a photo from Cynic photographer Alexa Algios, devoted several paragraphs to the Cynic’s work. The VPR story focused so much on the Cynic angle that College Media Matters, a national college media blog, linked to VPR when discussing the Cynic’s coup. […]

2. […] The Vermont Cynic’s Presidential Scoop: Student Paper Confirms UVM’s New Leader with 3 Knocks on… […]