Daily Illini Facing a Serious ‘Cash Crunch’: Roger Ebert Pitches In with Facebook Letter (@TheDailyIllini #UIUC)

The Daily Illini, the student newspaper at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, is apparently facing a “cash crunch” so serious it may threaten its very survival.

As Crain’s Chicago Business reports, “The newspaper’s nonprofit umbrella organization, Illini Media Co., is delinquent on its mortgage payments and owes $250,000 in back payments to its printer. . . . Like other newspapers, the Daily Illini largely has been dependent on advertising for revenue, but now it’s turning to fundraising and alternative sources.”

The fundraising efforts have included an appeal from longtime film critic and former Daily Illini EIC Roger Ebert.  In a letter circulated last month to other UIUC alumni on Facebook, Ebert wrote, “It is possible the Daily Illini could cease publication. . . . Many, including myself, would say that they owe their careers at least in part to their experience at Illini Media.  It’s now time to give back.”

3 Responses to “Daily Illini Facing a Serious ‘Cash Crunch’: Roger Ebert Pitches In with Facebook Letter (@TheDailyIllini #UIUC)”
  1. Jill says:

Thanks for spreading the word, Dan. I love the DI and would hate to see anything bad happen to it. I’m graduating this spring, but I’m going to miss this newsroom more than anything else I’ve experienced in college.

Jill Disis
    editor in chief, The Daily Illini

1. […] SOS post directly resonates with the recent letter written by movie critic Roger Ebert on behalf of The Daily Illini at the University of Illinois.  In the letter, Ebert, a former […]

2. […] financial plight earned nationwide attention earlier this semester for a fundraising letter written by movie critic Roger Ebert.  In his letter, Ebert, a former editor-in-chief of the student paper, wrote, “It is possible […]