College Media Mad Money #3: Where Do Students’ Recreation Sports Fees Go? (@TheLantern #sports)

Students at Ohio State University pay a combined $14 million in student fees each year that go toward funding OSU recreational sports, a recent report in The Lantern confirmed.  How is that money spent exactly?  Umm, well, OSU officials are not exactly ready to say.

In an investigation that is almost stunning for the confusion it caused among admins., Lantern staff writers Thomas Bradley and Sarah Stemen were given numerous runarounds that boiled down to one basic sentiment: There is no current organized, itemized list outlining how the rec fees are spent.  Yikes.

It is not an inconsiderable oversight given the amount of the expense, especially as it pertains to the larger student fees culture at many schools worldwide.  For example, as Bradley and Stemen wrote, “Fees such as the Rec Sports fee, the Student Activity fee, the Student Legal Services fee, the Student Union Facility fee and the COTA Bus Service fee are not included in the posted cost of tuition. . . . In a four-year period, students at OSU pay $3,676 in required fees.

Bottom line: It’s time for some recreational, and financial, reporting.