Prediction: Fashion Journalism Will Soon Go Viral Within College Media (@CollegeFashion @DailyTarHeel #style)

My bold, wrinkle-free prediction: Fashion journalism will be the next niche to explode within collegemediatopia and j-programs nationwide.  The immense popularity of the related industry, general student interest in the topic area, and fashion’s innate, multimedia-friendly visualness will all spur a rise in related classes, minors, majors, grad programs, student newspaper sections, and independent sites.

The indy site College Fashion is already a mega-hit (a global brand, started just a few years ago by a single UMASS student).  CollegeFashionista is another popular online student style source.  And while it is still nibbling around the edges of student papers (very few sections are devoted specifically to fashion and style), I have seen an increase in the amount and variety of fashion features popping up in print and online (the latter typically as photo slideshows).

One campus-specific style site that debuted this week: smufashionmedia.com.  Affiliated with Southern Methodist University’s fashion media program, it aims to provide the lowdown on fashionable trends and breaking news “with an SMU-in-Dallas twist.

According to a report in The Daily Campus, SMU’s student newspaper, one “noteworthy feature of the website will be a piece called ‘On the Boulevard.’  This section will be modeled after ‘On the Street,’ the weekly piece in The New York Times by Bill Cunningham in which he captures candid shots of the latest fashion trends on the streets of New York City.  ‘We are going to be photographing all kinds of people who we think are fashionably dressed,’ [the fashion media program director] said. ‘Something that’s cool, something that’s creative.'”

One early “Boulevard” slideshow focuses on “colored jeans.”

The feature reminded me of “Dress Code,” a fantastic Daily Tar Heel fashion blog at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill that breaks down campus style trends and spotlights student fashionistas.  For students interested in this area of journalism, it is definitely worth a look.