Latest Round in East Carolina Fired Director Fight: Release of Director’s Personnel Records

It took a bit more than a week.  It hovered around the edges of it over the last few days.  And now it has officially become not just a saga but a full-blown soap opera.  My suggested title: The Fired and the Tactless. 

The latest bit of news in the continuing story of ousted East Carolina University student media director Paul Isom is a public sparring between Isom and the school over his personnel records.  The school wants to release them to the media to apparently prove his termination was not related to The East Carolinian‘s publication of the controversial streaker photos months before.  ECU needs Isom’s permission to unseal those records for public disclosure.

Isom has expressed his anger, however, that the school has apparently told the media it wants to release the records without ever talking to him about it privately.  As he told The News & Observer, “If they have an explanation to provide to the rest of the world, show it to me first.  I’ll decide whether or not I’ll waive my rights after I see their explanation. . . . This is an insulting way to treat a member of the ECU community.”

East Carolina Fired Director-Streaker Saga Update: A School Statement and a CMA Inquiry

East Carolina Journalism Faculty, FIRE, SPLC Rally Around Ousted Student Media Director

Former East Carolina Student Media Director Considers Lawsuit, Other Options to Contest Firing

2 Responses to “Latest Round in East Carolina Fired Director Fight: Release of Director’s Personnel Records”
  1. […] Latest Round in East Carolina Fired Director Fight: Release of Director’s Personnel Records […]

2. […] Latest Round in East Carolina Fired Director Fight: Release of Director’s Personnel Records […]