East Carolina Fired Director-Streaker Saga Update: A School Statement and a CMA Inquiry (@FrankLoMonte)

In response to media requests and letters of concern sent by advocacy organizations including FIRE and the SPLC, East Carolina University has released a statement about the sudden firing of student media director Paul Isom.  Isom was let go without warning or explanation last week, prompting speculation it was related to the The East Carolinian‘s infamous ‘streaker’ photo published last November on its front page.

A portion of the statement is below.  For the full letter, click here or on the screenshot.

SPLC Executive Director Frank LoMonte respectfully characterized the statement as a “non-denial denial.”

In other news, the College Media Association (CMA) is launching an official inquiry into Isom’s termination.   As an announcement on its homepage confirms, “The chair of CMA’s Advocacy Committee, Kate McCarty, is leading the inquiry, which also includes an offer to help mediate any possible resolution of the issue and help redraft university policies.  CMA members and its board have expressed concern at the university’s lack of an explanation for suddenly firing Isom and fear that the action is in retaliation for content published in the student newspaper.”

2 Responses to “East Carolina Fired Director-Streaker Saga Update: A School Statement and a CMA Inquiry (@FrankLoMonte)”
  1. Bryan Murley says:

Frank is being very charitable with that characterization. “Trust us.” heh.

1. […] East Carolina Fired Director-Streaker Saga Update: A School Statement and a CMA Inquiry […]