Breaking News: Gunman Loose at Virginia Tech, Police Officer Shot, Killed

Update, 3:50 p.m.: The CT has been posting photos of law enforcement working to secure campus and locate the suspect.  One example below.

Update, 2:40 p.m.: In a message posted at 2:36 p.m. EST on a popular college media advisers’ list-serv, Kelly Wolff, general manager of the parent company for the Collegiate Times, writes, “Our students at student media appear to be OK. I’m at our off campus building with many of our board members and some students. The CT was taken out of their office on campus because student center personnel herded everyone in the union into one location. At last check, two radio station DJs had locked themselves in and wouldn’t leave the studio so they can continue to break in with reports. They live stream at www.wuvt.vt.edu. . . . We still only know that a police officer and perhaps one other person are dead in a parking lot on the west side of campus.”

A smattering of media reports and a ton of tweets are reporting a gunman is loose on the campus of Virginia Tech after fatally shooting a police officer.

The Collegiate Times, VT’s student newspaper, has one brief report up on its website (as of 1:30 p.m. EST), describing the suspect “as a white male wearing gray sweatpants and a gray hat with a neon green brim, a maroon hoodie sweatshirt and a backpack.”

Staffers are sending out additional updates on the @collegiatetimes Twitter feed.

One Response to “Breaking News: Gunman Loose at Virginia Tech, Police Officer Shot, Killed”
  1. We were lucky when it came to Irene. We knew the hurricane was coming and had time to plan and prepare. We knew there was a good possibility that we would lose power and maybe even water. We took preventive measures and charged our cell phones and laptops. We made sure we had flashlights and batteries and knew where they were. We filled bottles with water and put away anything outside that could possibly “take flight”.