‘Best of Collegiate Design’: Ideas for Student Newspapers, Magazines, Yearbooks, Websites

The winners of CMA’s annual “Best of Collegiate Design” competition have been announced and are now featured in all their colorful, creative glory in a nearly 150-page booklet.  Now in its 19th year, BCD honors student editors and designers on campus newspapers, magazines, yearbooks, and online outlets in 23 categories– from info graphics, editorial illustrations, and photo spreads to front page, cover page, and headline presentation.

Screenshots of three of my favorites from the winners’ list are below:

Ibis Yearbook at the University of Miami earned an honorable mention in the information graphic category for this creative word cloud highlighting some of the key buzz terms and phrases from the past decade.  (As you can maybe see, Facebook, iPhone, Harry Potter, Obama, September 11, and American Idol are among the largest.)

The State News at Michigan State University earned second place in the headline presentation category for this playful color scheme/wordplay on a header announcing a day off due to inclement weather.

ALT at Iowa’s Grand View University earned fourth place in the magazine feature spread category for its splashy visualization of a report on body painting.