President Obama Op-Ed Published in Student Newspapers

A small number of campus newspapers across the country are running a new op-ed penned by President Barack Obama focused on his proposed changes to student loan plans.  The Harvard Crimson and The Daily Texan are among the student papers that have published the editorial this week.

In the piece, prior to summarizing his college affordability initiative, Obama lays out a bleak assessment of the country’s current state, its businesspeople, and its politicians.

As he (ghost)writes early on, “This is a tough time for a lot of Americans– especially young people. You’ve come of age at a time of profound change.  The world has gotten more connected, but it’s also gotten more competitive.  And for decades, too many of our institutions– from Washington to Wall Street– failed to adapt, culminating in the worst financial crisis and recession since the Great Depression.”

In the Crimson, the writer description at the close reads simply: “Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States.”

Along with the content, the rare appearance of a sitting president’s name in student papers’ bylines has gotten the attention of readers and the national press.  As the first commenter wrote beneath the Crimson piece, “I know there’s a lot to be said here, but I get such a kick out of the byline / description at the end. can someone comment on how this got into the crimson? is this going to all university newspapers?”

A related post yesterday on Fox Nation ran with the headline, “Obama Reduced to Writing Op-Eds in Student Newspapers.”  A separate commenter on a Politico story wrote, “It’s a transparent and ethically challenged vote-buying gambit.”

What do you think?  Is the president’s guest ed. a valuable perspective on an issue of real importance to students?  Or is it a naked political ploy using campus pubs. for their access to student voters?

Presidential/student press trivia: Obama wrote sparingly for student media while still in school, including a 1983 feature in the Sundial at Columbia University headlined “Breaking the War Mentality” that profiles two student groups against armed conflict and nuclear proliferation.

One Response to “President Obama Op-Ed Published in Student Newspapers”
  1. akismet-05532be32d793f92f19bef1e4a1f0f5d says:

What in the world? Isn’t he supposed to get paid for what’s he’s doing already?
    Some people just like to take advantage of any opportunity.

Come on students needs guidance not a thug!!!