San Antonio College Official Requires Payment in Exchange for Interview with Student Newspaper

An official at San Antonio College told the school’s student newspaper last week he required payment in exchange for serving as a source on a story about the student activities fee.

Jorge Posadas, SAC’s student life director, responded to an email interview request from a Ranger editor with the following statement: “If you would like I can serve as professional source on the subject of student affairs and we can set up a professional consulting contract and we can negotiate an appropriate fee.”  Yowzer.

The director’s financial demand quickly gained local and then national media attention, including a post on Poynter’s Romenesko+The San Antonio Express-News labeled his response “ludicrous” and “unbecoming.” 

In a related editorial, the paper asked, “Why would anyone on the Alamo Colleges payroll, whose $54,000 annual salary is paid by the taxpayers and students, think it would be appropriate to charge a student for a consultation? Where was that money going to be deposited once it was collected? . . . Such behavior is highly unusual for someone employed in a professional capacity at a college, and it is especially troubling coming from someone whose job is dealing with students and working to enhance their lives on campus.”

Posadas has since chalked up the incident to a misinterpretation of the paper’s request.  In his words, “I was confused. I was coming back off days of being away and it was like, ‘Whoops, that wasn’t good.’ It has been stressful here with all these budget [cuts].”  Hmm.

2 Responses to “San Antonio College Official Requires Payment in Exchange for Interview with Student Newspaper”
  1. sokkim says:

Wow, isn’t that part of his job and that’s what he’s hired for?
    Strange, demand fees for student consultation that’s a new one.

1. […] last October, Posadas told a Ranger reporter that he required payment in exchange for serving as a source on a story about the student activities fee.  In his message to the […]