Student Photographer Arrested at Occupy Rochester Protest in New York

A student journalist at the Rochester Institute of Technology was arrested Friday evening while covering the Occupy Rochester protest in New York.

Jonathan Foster, a staff photographer for RIT’s weekly student magazine Reporter, was returning to the protest park after grabbing a pen from his car when police grabbed him.  His detainment was part of a larger park eviction effort that resulted in 32 total arrests.

At the time, as the above photo shows, he was wearing a shirt with the word REPORTER emblazoned across the front.  As Foster told The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, “I’d like to plead not guilty under the First Amendment’s protections for freedom of the press.”

RIT journalism student Chris Zubak-Skees put together an excellent Storify summary of the arrest.  Among the info it reveals: Police took Foster into custody, but not the broadcast journalists also in the area.  Yet, they were nice enough to pass his camera along to an RIT professor.

2 Responses to “Student Photographer Arrested at Occupy Rochester Protest in New York”
  1. […] Earlier: Student Photographer Arrested at Occupy Rochester Protest in New York […]

2. […] Earlier: Student Photographer Arrested at Occupy Rochester Protest in New York […]