Dan in Orlando: Sex, Story Ideas, Magazines & Iraq

Later this week, I will be in Orlando with the rest of the college media masses for the ACP/CMA national convention.  Now in its 90th year, the event is billed as “the largest gathering of collegiate student journalists and advisers in the world.”

I’ll be presenting at four sessions, touching on a mix of high-minded and R-rated topics.  The session names and related info are below.  If you are among the convention attendees, please stop by at least one to say hi!

100+ Story Ideas

It all starts with the story. From behind the scenes to under the covers, two veteran journalists and advisers will whip through ideas for more than 100 stories that will surprise, entice or charm your readers. Even better, they’ll teach you how you and your staffs can generate your own.

Coral Ballroom B, Lobby Level, Friday, 12:30-1:20 p.m.

Sex, Sex, Sex: Covering Campus Love, Lust, and Every Kink in Between

It’s more popular in college than ever — in column form. College newspaper sex columns have helped revolutionize student journalism and defined a new sexual generation.  This session — led by the author of Sex and the University, a book on the student sex column movement — will briefly share the story of these columns and offer advice to students and advisers considering launching a sex or dating feature of their own. Tips will include an outline of hurdles to avoid, topics to tackle, and formats to take. Carrie Bradshaw will make an appearance (via PowerPoint).

Oceans Ballroom 11, Lobby Level, Friday, 1:30-2:20 p.m.

College Media Research Paper Presentations

The Professional Development and Research committee proudly presents the top three papers from the annual Ken Nordin award competition. See the research conducted by your colleagues and help us acknowledge the winner of this year’s Nordin Award. The First Place for the Ken Nordin Award goes to Cliff Brockman, Bob Bergland and Dave Hon for their article on the Pacemakers Winners Circle. The Second Place goes to Daniel Reimold for his article titled: “A Voice of Independence: The Founding of Iraq’s Free Student Press.”  The Third Place was awarded to Carol Terracina-Hartman and Robert Nulph for their article: “Credentialling of Campus Media Advisers”

Atlantis B, Lobby Level, Friday, 3:30 p.m. – 5 p.m.

Planning and Publishing a Successful Magazine Edition

Once or twice a semester or academic year, a well-timed special magazine edition can add a glossy spark to the ink-stained grind of regular newspaper work. This session — led by the adviser and principal editors in charge of an award-winning student news magazine — will offer tips to students and advisers considering launching a magazine edition of their own. Tips will cover every production stage — from initial conception and early planning to design, printing costs, reporting challenges, and online options.

Grouper, 2nd Floor, Saturday, 12:30 – 1:20 p.m.

One Response to “Dan in Orlando: Sex, Story Ideas, Magazines & Iraq”
  1. […] the last few days in Orlando, the online conversation among students and advisers attending the ACP/CMA National College Media Convention has been […]