Student Press Story Ideas: Bike Riding, Sharing Up on College Campuses

This semester, university students, professors and staff are riding bicycles in record numbers.  As campuses expand, gas prices surge, and parking spaces dwindle, more bikes are being put to use to travel to and from classes, office hours, club meetings, sporting events, and social hangouts.

“The bicycle is an incredible invention, providing fast, inexpensive transportation while enhancing fitness,” a University of Pennsylvania administrator who bikes to work said in a recent Daily Pennsylvanian report about the rise in faculty and staff ridership.  “I can’t imagine sitting in a car back and forth to work, and then having to drive to a gym to get exercise.  I’d never do that.”

One effort being put into place or expanded at an increasing number of schools to meet spoke-and-wheel demand: Bicycle-sharing programs.

For example, at Michigan’s Oakland University, a single bike with bad brakes has grown over the past two years into a campus-wide initiative featuring a fleet of more than 250 pink women’s bicycles available for student use free of charge.  As The Oakland Post reports, “They may be pink, but these trusty transporters demand some respect.”

A similar sharing program exists at New York University.  It offers free bikes and training for those looking to tackle the campus and city on two wheels.  “The growth of the Bike Share program is important because not only is it a clean, healthy way to travel, but it also encourages community,” the program’s co-founder told Washington Square News staff writer Gentry Brown.  “I’ve seen students come to trainings with friends, check out bikes together, and use the bike share to go out on picnics and explore the city.”

To read more, click here or on the image below.