Occupy Wall Street: Student Press Perspectives on the Protests

Masses of protestors in some way aligned with the Occupy Wall Street movement are setting up camps in evermore cities nationwide.  As a New York Times report confirms, OWS has officially “entered the nation’s collective consciousness.”

This consciousness stems, in part, from a rise in related media attention.  “As the Occupy Wall Street message of representing 99 percent of Americans has spread across the country,” the NYT write-up notes, “news media coverage of the Occupy movement has spread, too, to the front pages of newspapers and the tops of television newscasts.”

College media have joined this coverage stampede, rocking out top-notch multimedia reports and providing student perspectives on the movement, its participants, and the strengths and weaknesses of their actions and agendas.

Below is a sampling of those perspectives.

City on a Hill Press, University of California, Santa Cruz

“Regardless of dissenting sentiments about the particulars of the action, it is hard to make a case that the Occupy Wall Street action and its subsequent offshoots springing up literally every day are anything but an incredibly positive and inspiring thing for the American people.”

The Hilltop, Howard University

“Although economic frustrations served as the catalyst for mobilization, the varying nature of the participants slogans like ‘fight for jobs and education, not for giant corporations’ and signs from expressions of disgust regarding the bailout of Wall Street bankers to requests to end the death penalty, have demonstrated that they are concerned with the improvement of society as a whole.”

The Daily Cougar, University of Houston

News conglomerates attempting to confine the Occupy movement to a single demographic have been unsuccessful, because their aim is too narrow. Despite the youthful advances of these protestors, their frustration is universal.”

The Columbia Spectator, Columbia University

Columbia is not immune to the criticisms of Occupy Wall Street. . . . Let’s not kid ourselves about how the beautiful space that is our university is paid for. Despite the tuition you are paying, the accumulated largesse of oligarchs of Manhattan continues to fund a large share of Columbia’s operations.”

The Harvard Crimson, Harvard University

Harvard graduates, however, are more likely to be among the occupied than the occupying, representing a shameless financial industry that sent the American economy crashing without accepting any responsibility or penalty for their role in the collapse.”

The Independent Florida Alligator, University of Florida

“The top 1 percent currently earns 21 percent of the income and, more importantly, maintains 57 percent of the non-housing wealth. The divide is egregious, and it’s certainly worth complaining about.  But that doesn’t make a good case for a revolution. Instead, it’s a problem, and in order to fix a problem, you need a solution. Try as I might, I can’t find a solution among the Occupy Wall Street movement.”

The Daily Texan, University of Texas at Austin

“[U]ntil Wall Street as an institution is given boundaries, more and more UT graduates may see even middle-class futures out of reach for them and their kin entirely. Austin and UT should stand behind the protests, for us and for our futures.”

The Badger Herald, University of Wisconsin-Madison

“When the government bails out large businesses and banks that go on to make record profits while the unemployment rate hovers at 9 percent, you know something is wrong with the political and economic system of this country. . . The Occupiers are not asking for, nor do they want, a communist system, but they do want the ability to find a job that pays a living wage.”

The Daily Illini, University of Illinois

“Explicit demands from the protestors have yet to be made. But that is how things should remain. After all, the Occupy movement is not so much about timetables and short-lived political victories as it is about an inclusive, sustainable and gradual groping toward political consensus.”

The Daily Tar Heel, University of North Carolina

One Response to “Occupy Wall Street: Student Press Perspectives on the Protests”
  1. NB says:

At Columbia, it’s hard to find people who haven’t chosen one side of this debate. And honestly, I lot of the voices I’ve heard are people that say, “If these people need money, they should get off the streets and get jobs. If they’re sad they’re not rich, it’s their fault.” I, for one, completely agree. America allows so many opportunities to everyone, and while I understand the nature of the protest is about the irresponsibility of a tiny percent of Wall Street, those on the street for more equality or for more income need to get to work.