North Dakota Student Newspaper in the Red Due to Drop in Campus Advertising

The student newspaper at the University of North Dakota is facing a dramatic budget deficit and unease about its financial future due to a drop in on-campus advertising.  As a Grand Forks Herald report confirmed, The Dakota Student found itself $18,000 in the hole at the start of the semester, “the first time in at least 30 years the previously profitable Dakota Student has found itself in the red.”

The newspaper’s business manager: “We’ve always run a profit and never lost a dime in the 30 years I’ve been here until two years ago.  We’ve never had to go into the reserve for the budget, ever.”

Three-quarters of the Student‘s revenue comes from advertising and the rest from student fees.  According to DS editor-in-chief  Brandi Jewett, the financial troubles stem mainly from campus organizations and events stopping their advertising in the paper or turning to the Internet as a cheap ad alternative.

The short-term solution: a student government-approved dip into a separate equipment fund.  But as a student senator asked publicly, “How do we keep them from coming back to us every year?

The bigger question: Is this a blip on the campus media financial radar or a sign of tough times ahead for student pubs that rely mainly on campus group advertising for funding???

2 Responses to “North Dakota Student Newspaper in the Red Due to Drop in Campus Advertising”
  1. From what I’ve seen and heard, pretty much all college media newspapers have felt some sort of decrease in profits, the situation becomes dire depending on how much revenue they can afford to loose and how much funding they receive from their universities.

There have been and will be tough times for college media, but there are ways to abrogate the problems. Perhaps by seeking to fill the online advertising niche for student orgs?

The DSOnline is a great looking website, but is college publisher getting them all the money they could get for their online ad spaces?

1. […] following in the footsteps of professional news organizations and falling by the wayside. From North Dakota to UCONN to student papers in the United Kingdom, revenue shortfalls and budget cuts are the new […]