College Media Hall of Fame, Class of 2011: Connor Toohill, NextGen Journal Editor-in-Chief

The College Media Hall of Fame is a digital enshrinement of individuals, news outlets, and organizations who have made a lasting impact on collegemediatopia or greatly contributed to it over the past year.  Much like last year’s inaugural batch (known as the CMM 10), this year’s inductees include standout student journalists, innovative student media entrepreneurs, and impassioned advocates of campus press 2.0.  With a hat tip to the annual Time 100, many of the posts announcing each honoree include a few words of adoration penned by a close friend or colleague. Next up…

Connor Toohill

Founder & Editor-in-Chief, NextGen Journal

Connor Toohill is the student media mogul of the moment.  The Notre Dame University sophomore is responsible for the launch and oversight of NextGen Journal, the only national news and views outlet by students, for students.  The site is a college media revelation– proof that the student press can think and act BIG without outside ‘adult’ help (with all respect to News21, UPIU, Local East Village, and others).

Toohill is a San Diego native who enjoys playing guitar and watching "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report."

Toohill is one of a growing number of students creating personal media brands that make past generations’ internship-heavy résumés and student newspaper clips look like road kill.

According to Mitt Romney, corporations are people.  Whether you agree with the clunky sentiment’s larger meaning, it does ring true here.  NextGen Journal is Connor Toohill.  I am honored to name Toohill and his Journal to the College Media Hall of Fame.

“Getting Our Generation Into the Discussion”

By Heather Regen

Working with Connor on NextGen, I wouldn’t be surprised if I turned on my TV and found him sitting casually across from Jon Stewart or Wolf Blitzer.  When Connor talks about bringing our generation’s voices to the national conversation, he does so with a solid plan.

Getting students’ voices heard isn’t a passing whim or an idealistic vision for him. He sees it as a necessity.  While the policies being debated on Capitol Hill will likely impact us more than any other group, Connor is set on getting our generation into the discussion.  He’s doing that through NextGen, and he’s doing an incredible job.

Regen, a Georgetown University student, is a NextGen Journal editor.

Other Class of 2011 CMM Hall of Fame inductees:

Michael Koretzky

Frank LoMonte

3 Responses to “College Media Hall of Fame, Class of 2011: Connor Toohill, NextGen Journal Editor-in-Chief”
  1. […] Connor Toohill Eco World Content From Across The Internet. Featured on EcoPressed Study Says Sea Lice From Farmed Salmon Do Hurt Wild Fish—But the Debate's Not Over Share this:StumbleUponDiggTwitterLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. […]