Michigan Daily Arts Editor Proma Khosla Says Goodbye to ‘Harry Potter Childhood’

At page 699, Proma Khosla almost threw up.  While reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the University of Michigan student and HP superfan simply could not stomach the drama playing out on the pages before her.

As she recalled in a recent Michigan Daily column, “My face was already soaked with tears, my body convulsing with hysterical sobs, but on page 699, I had to drop everything and run to the bathroom because I was sure I was going to be sick.”

Fortunately, the feeling passed, and she was able to complete the book.  Khosla, the student newspaper’s senior arts editor, has long felt a strong connection to Harry and company. She is part of what her fellow staffer Ankur Sohoni previously dubbed the “Harry Potter generation.”

“I’ve been with Harry since I was eight years old,” she confirms. “That’s well over half my life, and for all that time, there has always been something to look forward to in the world of Potter. Even since the last book and the empty feeling of knowing it was the end, there was always this last movie. It was a pleasant, unreachable future, distant enough that I didn’t need to worry about losing Harry forever. But that day has come.”

In a quick Q&A, Khosla discusses what the series has meant to her, her hopes for the final film and why she is attending a convention in Florida to simultaneously celebrate its premiere and the “definitive end” to her childhood.

Proma Khosla, Michigan Daily senior arts editor

For those who don’t get it, what is so wondrous about all-things HP?

I think the wonder lies in how realistic the stories are, despite often being shunted into the “fantasy” genre. Sure, there are dragons and ghosts and people flying on broomsticks, but there’s also humor, romance and just the everyday adventure of being at school. What really got me personally was that this whole magical world is hidden from Muggles. I love the idea that it could all be real and we just don’t know it.

Nineteen years from now (or thereabouts), what will you tell a child who sees the HP books on your shelf about what the series meant to you growing up?

Harry Potter was, above all, my constant while growing up. There was always a book, movie or convention on the horizon. There was comfort in knowing that if something went wrong in real life, Harry would be there for me. Most importantly, a shared love of these books has introduced me to people that I would never have met otherwise. What started as a bond over Harry Potter has grown into true friendships that transcend age and location. The evidence of what these books have done for me lies in every text, phone call, conversation and hug that I share with my “fandom” friends. I will always be grateful for that.

To read the rest of the Q&A, click here or on the screenshot below.