Student Press Story Ideas: Eating Too Healthy, Exercising Too Much

As summer progresses, please beware: It is possible to not only eat too healthy but also to exercise too much.

The former is a disorder known as orthorexia.  As Mary Watson Capron wrote last semester for The Signpost, the student newspaper at Weber State University, “Orthorexia is the fixation on righteous eating and an unhealthy obsession with eating only healthy foods.  Like anorexia and bulimia, it can wreak serious damage on the health of someone trapped in the obsession.”

I admit, I had never heard of this particular affliction prior to stumbling upon the Signpost piece.  Has it entered your radar?  Do students suffer from orthorexia at your school?  Are there any other diet trends, positive or negative, making the rounds?

A month after Capron’s report, The Daily Titan at California State University, Fullerton, focused on a somewhat related activity: over-exercising.  As Sarah Fernandez wrote, “[I]f you start to put other important priorities on the back burner in order to watch that Jillian Michaels workout DVD or go to the gym for hours and hours every single day of the week, then you might be working out a little too much. When you have other obligations at home or school and then you begin to cut all of that out of your schedule just to work out, then it can be considered an obsession.”

Related questions: Are there students at your college or university especially well known for their extreme workout routines?  Or any campus fitness center junkies now in recovery?  And what do the exercise and sports science profs. say are the best running-and-lifting regimes for the teen and twentysomething set?

As you might imagine, the all-things-in-moderation MO wins out among the experts cited by Fernandez. “Too much of anything can be bad for the body,” she begins the write-up.  “Too much food can make you sick, if you drink too much water it can make you drown, literally, and too much exercise can be unhealthy.”