University of Colorado Journalism School to Close After Regents’ Vote

In a 5-4 decision, the Board of Regents at the University of Colorado-Boulder voted yesterday to close CU’s School of Journalism & Mass Communication.  The vote officially ends a long discontinuance process that has been viewed by some as an isolated issue affecting a single school and by others as a harbinger of dark days ahead for journalism education nationwide.

As Brittany Anas reports for The Daily Camera, CU’s student newspaper, The closure comes amid state budget cuts, a rapidly evolving media landscape and turmoil in the journalism school that has left one graduate program facing the possible loss of its accreditation.”

The program will reinvent as something called “Journalism Plus,” allowing students to “pursue a double major in journalism and another subject, or they will be able to major in a subject with a certificate or minor in journalism.”  Certain CU j-profs will be integrated into other schools and departments at the university, while some untenured and non-tenure-track faculty will be let go.

2 Responses to “University of Colorado Journalism School to Close After Regents’ Vote”
  1. […] many in the journalism community are aware, the Board of Regents at the University of Colorado-Boulder recently voted to close CU’s School […]

2. […] past spring, as many in the journalism community are aware, the Board of Regents at CU voted to close the university’s School of Journalism & Mass […]