Northern Star: Campus Vending Machines Net Northern Illinois a Half Million Dollars Annually

Pepsi.  Coke.  Candy.  Chips.  The sweets and soda dispensed daily from campus vending machines must add up to a formidable annual sum at schools nationwide.

Where there’s money, there’s news.  Potential questions for a related report: How much do the machines on your campus actually take in each year?  What agreement is in place between your school and the companies creating the goods and stocking them for sale?  What is your school’s cut of the machines’ profits?  And where does your school’s portion of the money go?

At Northern Illinois University, more than half of the funds go to student scholarships.  A recent report in The Northern Star, NIU’s campus newspaper, revealed that the university nabs roughly $500,000 annually in vending machine sales.  The school allots $270,000 of that commission to academic scholarships for high-achieving incoming students.

It is unclear how the rest of the money is utilized, leaving one student to comment, “I would like to know what [the rest of the commission] goes toward.  If we were more informed and knew more information, then maybe more students would be satisfied.”

2 Responses to “Northern Star: Campus Vending Machines Net Northern Illinois a Half Million Dollars Annually”
  1. StormGame says:

never even thought vending machines might be getting so much business. ;) ;)

2. Thanks for great reference editing. I fully impressed to your topic. It is a very reliable. Really i enjoyed to read your blog…