Illegal Immigration Column Causes Controversy at Florida’s Rollins College

A student newspaper op-ed arguing citizenship status should not be granted to children of illegal immigrantshas spurred an outcry from some students and faculty” at Florida’s Rollins College.

At the start of the piece, published late last week in The Sandspur, freshman student writer Jamie Pizzi compares illegal aliens to home intruders.  An accompanying image sticks with the metaphor, showing a green alien creature wearing someone else’s clothes, relaxing and channel-surfing in someone else’s home.

In Pizzi’s words, “‘[A]nchor babies,’ as they are commonly referred, gain full citizenship from simply being born on American soil, and they are entitled to all the same benefits as you and I, including: free public school educations, financial aid for college and even Medicaid. . . . When our own citizens are struggling to afford adequate health care and public schools become more and more crowded, we should not even consider keeping birthright citizenship. . . . America has a crucial decision to make: continue to attract those who want a free ride, or return to a time where America attracted only the best and the brightest to its golden shores.”

Angry emails, online story comments, and letters to the editor abounded immediately after publication.  A campus-wide email sent by a professor in the piece’s wake declared “this kind of media contributes to a climate of hate and intolerance in our community.”  The Sandspur staffer who oversaw the section in which the piece was printed separately said critics were charging her with “being a Nazi and supporting genocide.”

Others declared the article and image misinformed, misguided, xenophobic, and “hateful rhetoric.”  As one student wrote, “[I]t is important to remember that ‘anchor babies’ and ‘aliens’ are, in fact, people– human beings just like you and I, with families. Let us not define them based solely by their immigration status.”

Additionally, according to the Orlando Sentinel, “The strong reaction from faculty, students and others prompted a big gathering [late last week].  An estimated 200 to 300 people turned out– a significant crowd for the small private college [roughly 2,700 students] . . . Everyone took turns expressing themselves and sharing their views on free press and the role of a school newspaper.”

In a letter to readers responding to the controversy, Pizzi noted, “My opinion on the 14th Amendment concerns only the law and the effect of undocumented and untaxed individuals on our country’s finances. I have no hatred for people of any race or ethnic group, or for immigrants in general; I actually find other cultures fascinating!  I never intended to hurt people or come across in a hateful manner.”

The student artist responsible for the alien image: “By my understanding, the image concept that the Sandspur had given me was meant to be a satire on the double meaning of the word alien within our language, and nothing more.  I did not take into account that paired together the article and image could come off as xenophobic or demonizing to any individual, and if I had, or I’m sure if the staff had, I’m positive it wouldn’t have been published.”

The student who oversaw the opinion section: “It is preposterous that there are people at Rollins who requested that [Pizzi] be banned from writing again. . . . You cannot take away a person’s right to write or state what they wish. You may disagree, but by banning a school newspaper’s right to publish student opinions, you are starting a chain reaction you can never stop.”

24 Responses to “Illegal Immigration Column Causes Controversy at Florida’s Rollins College”
  1. Brittanicus says:

Eventually the public will learn cheap labor from illegal immigration is not “cheap.” It’s subsidized by all of us in the form of our tax dollars paying for their services and makes some dirty employers very wealthy at the expense of all of us. This is highlighted by Arizona’s Governor Brewer, State Senator Pierce pushing for legal sanity, to stop illegal aliens robbing its legal population of hard come dollars. They enter across our borders or by plane or ship and having never paid even one dollar, into public funds. Immediately their children get a free education and the whole family collects free health care and medical procedures. Then any new child born to the parent are instant citizens, with free natal care, supplemented by food stamps, Medicaid, cash payments and other subsidized welfare programs. These are financially serious errors, with the compliments of early Liberal judicial involvement.

What on Earth are Liberal Czars in Washington thinking, deciding to remove the 1500 National Guards from the toxic border region? Guess its part of placing the undermanned US Border agents under considerable more strain. To me it’s illogical that the border remains unsafe for the ranchers and other landowners who are constantly in dangerous situation, because the movement of drugs and armed illegal aliens crossing their land. Since the inception of the 2006 Secure Fence Act the actual barrier is still not completed, never alone it is only one fence and not two as originally planned. It doesn’t take a proverbial rocket scientist that no administration has ever intended to build a structure, which would hold back unceasing groups of foreign nationals. If they ever intended to make illegal immigration a harsh violation of immigration laws as Mexico does, it would be a felony. Simply rational to expect that these policies were never meant to be implemented, in stopping tens of millions already here. Businesses concerns feel very strongly about maintaining access to illegal immigrant jobs, and exert political pressure to prevent enforcement from being effective.

Another issue that should have been enacted is the Bush pilot program E-Verify. A new version of E-Verify has been produced, so that previous complications have been rectified, but owing to Sen. Harry Reid a nauseous Democrat, sleeping Liberal we are lucky to have this enforcement program at all. Currently its voluntary but now 156.000 businesses are using it, to purge illegal workers from the job market. Secure Communities, the 287g are other worthwhile tools that can further advance Attrition through enforcement. Radical Organizations like La Raza and La Mancha have been teaching the young to hate America. La Raza means “The Race” and their motto is “For our race everything and for all others, nothing.” The fact that we subsidize these dangerous groups, by grants from the taxpayers should be absolutely outrageous to legal Hispanics.

There is a report on Senator Harry Reids Nevada having the highest unemployment rate in the nation. Another report says they have the highest percentage of jobs being worked by illegal aliens at about10%. There is an assertion that New York City has over10% that is working illegally, including in that overall picture 70% of all illegal aliens have a job of some kind. Republican Assemblyman Tim Donnelly wants to use bill AB 26 to eliminate the estimated $11 billion spent by California to provide social services to illegal immigrants each year. Everyone assumes illegal workers are hired just to do farm work? However, they have infiltrated into construction, restaurants, hotels, casinos, department stores, janitorial, landscaping, furniture moving, carpet and tile laying, factories etc. Even trade unions have large numbers of foreign nationals. New illegal newcomers are disrupting the lifestyle of poor legal whites, blacks, Hispanics and other races here already.

Before this country was snowed under with illegal immigrants and migrants U.S. individuals picked the fruit, mowed lawns, flipped burgers, dug trenches, and cleaned hotel rooms. These entry level jobs were done by guest workers, the working poor, legal immigrants and, seasonal students. In this long dragged out recession there still are plenty of legal immigrants and resident Americans who would do these jobs at a—FAIR– and free market wage. When illegal aliens take these jobs they not only stealing jobs from American high school students, but drive wages down. This unfair competition denies entry level work and a chance for our kids, to start earning money towards college and a car. It also removes opportunity from the lowest of income and legitimate immigrants and so making the American Dream harder to reach.

Trouble is that neither major party wants secure enforcement, because it would inhibit their agendas. For Democrats that means potentially more votes; while with Republicans its foremost interest is to the business opportunists who profit from cheap labor. On the other side of the coin, the Tea Party demands the border completely sealed and the laws of the 1986 Immigration Act, fully enforced. There is a. wanton refusal of the United States government for previous years to enforce our laws and borders; one can only come to the conclusion that Leftists extremist secret agreements are in affect designed to destroy U.S. sovereignty and overrun the country with cheap labor. In the last ten years to patronize Mexico, we have entered into agreements called NAFTA. In 2005 Harvard Professor George Borjas has reported that illegal aliens displaced American labor at a cost in excess of $133 billion dollars. Every one of us should seriously wonder what the costs are seven years later?

They have not only poured inferior trade items into America as with its competitor Communist China. But big business conglomerates have gone to Mexico, to pay fewer taxes and no import tariffs to the United States. In return for this poorly negotiated treaty, America has received hundreds of thousands of small farmers disrupted from their land, unable to compete with mega-agriculture. The only winners are the giant corporations like Whirlpool that exported their factory and jobs just across the border and sealing the fate of American workers. Every treaty agreement is about massive profits and import of cut price labor and export of jobs to foreign countries. Little can be done under prior or current administrations, but we have one slender chance to throw out both party members and challenge them with the growth of the Tea Party. Attention: Watch for illegal aliens voting in coming elections.

2. Delaware Bob says:

OK. Let me try to figure this out again. It is against the law to enter this Country ILLEGALLY. Correct? OK. However, if you do come into this country ILLEGALLY and have a child, we will reward that child with a U.S. birth certificate and make him or her a citizen of the United States, pay for the birth and get the child on welfare so the mother can get money to stay in this country…and that’s not ALL! We will school that child and the child will get food stamps, the child will get FREE school lunches, and that’s not ALL! The mother and the child can have FREE healthcare and get into public housing, and that’s not ALL! The more children you have, the more money you will get. But keep in mind, it is against the law to enter this country ILLEGALLY! Do I have that right? OK. How do you feel about Birth Tourism?

http://www.eturbonews.com/15529/us-birth-tourism-becoming-flourishing-business

We MUST stop giving out birth certificates to illegal aliens like candy on Halloween. Illegal aliens have NO RIGHT to be in this country. What is it about this don’t they understand? GEEEEEEEZ!

3. Ronbo says:

As is well known, Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida – the so-called “Harvard of The South” – is a typical Leftist Ruling Class Academy modeled on the close minded “Harvard North” in Massachusetts., which only recently allowed ROTC on campus.

I should know.

I graduated from Rollins in 1984 and wistnessed the reactionary nature of students and teachers first hand who refused to allow William F. Buckley to speak on campus in 1983, but rolled out the red carpet for convicted felon and famous 1960s Leftist radical, Abbie Hoffman, who soon afterwards committed suicide by drug overdose.

The tuition at Rollins is runs to the gross national product of a small African country, and for this outlay a student who voices an honest opinion contrary to the Leftist PC anti-speech code gets trashed by her own employees!

Beam me up Scotty! There is no intelligent life at Rollins College.

• Lizzy says:

As someone who graduated from Rollins significantly more recently than you (2010 to be exact), and who still is involved in liberal activism on the campus, I’d have to disagree somewhat with your assessment of the political climate on the campus.
      While much of the teaching staff is left leaning, I’ve found that many of the deans and “upper management” are rather centrist, and generally the student body runs conservative with pockets of liberal students. This is particularly clear in class discussions in which, yes, the dialog can be left slanted, but in which I’ve heard people express a range of opinions about topics like this.
      Just to add, there was some censorship talk thrown around by some staff and students, and I disagree with this. Various opinions should be presented on campus to engage everyone in a dialogue of contemporary issues. But the primary problem with Pizzi’s op-ed, as well as much of the Sandspur’s writing (even in non-political pieces) is that it was fraught with errors, lack of research and was just all-around poorly written. Many of my friends were angry because the things this student was asserting were verifiably untrue and because of the author’s use of xenophobic language. Shortly after this big kerfuffle, an open meeting was held on campus. It ended on a positive note and the take away was not that dissenting opinions should be squelched, but that campus media outlets needed some serious ethics training (for factual errors) and journalistic guidance.

• daniel barnard says:

“but that campus media outlets needed some serious ethics training (for factual errors) and journalistic guidance.”

And I am sure that “training” will come in the form of nothing getting published without getting reviewed by a panel of censors who will inject the usual leftist slant…

Unless there is complete free speech, there is no free speech.

• Ronbo says:

What you say amounts to wanting to ban a student for speaking her mind in an EDITORIAL! DUH! AN OPINION PIECE. So what if the article isn’t up to the “standards” of your idea of journalism? Speaking of journalism standards in that part of media dominated by Left, like Sarah Palin said, “If the Left didn’t have double standards, they would have no standards at all.”

4. Stern says:

The Jesus Mentality — that’s what people experience who are taught that there is something selfish in standing up for their rights. As a result, they turn the other cheek or ignore issues that are deemed politically incorrect. Most often these issues deal with children as in this case. The writer of this column should be applauded for saying what so many believe but are afraid to say aloud lest the been labeled anti-child, or anti-human. When will the rest of us stop turning the other cheek on all the people who are breaking our laws, costing us money, and endangering the future of our society.

• Brittany-Ann says:

Really? So many are afraid to say it? ’cause I’m hearing it all over the place. The xenophobes, the racists, the ignorant, are all quoting one another and repeating the same tired, trite, fact-less statements all over the internet, newspapers, and cable. I’m actually very sick of it.

Who decided to let a freshman write for the campus paper, anyway? Freshman writing is notoriously atrocious, and that piece is no exception.

• Ronbo says:

Spoken like a true mind numbed Leftist robot! Oh…and be sure to play the racist card because you lack the intelligence and facts to win the argument. Frankly dear, I’m sick and tired of neo-socialist drivel, calls for censorship and race baiting all over the Media.

5. Brittanicus says:

STOP THE ROT, GREED AND CORRUPTION

America cannot go on with illegal aliens running the roost, with ICE unable to get this occupation under control. They just don’t have the manpower or the inducement from the leaders in Washington. Their hands are tied by the Leftist progressives, known better as administration czars. Nor can the Republicans remain ignorant; as they have been behind pushing for cheap labor for 30 years plus, that have now resulted in a kind of arrogance to circumvent the Rule of Law. Enter the Tea Party that is no longer a small unorganized congregation of people that the Liberal-Democrats want you to think. Thousands of groups are springing up across the country, to stop this country’s financial erosion, lead by the TEA PARTY.

AS ONE AMERICAN PEOPLE UNITED WE DECIDE OUR FUTURE, NOT THE SPINELESS, RELUCTANT LAWMAKERS WHO LIMIT OUR RIGHTS AS CITIZENS AND LEGAL RESIDENTS. THE US GOVERNMENT HAS RENEGED ON KEEPING US SAFE FROM THE INFLUX OF CRIMINALS, BUT ALSO HAVE USED THE IRS IN PAYING FOR THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION INVASION. INCIDENTALLY–WE NEED OIL, LETS GO AND GET IT IN ALASKA AND THE GULF.

The resounding motto of the TEA PARTY is resolute, Fiscal Responsibility, Limited Government, Fair Free Market and a Strong National Security. For our security we must eradicate the Liberal ideology of Political Correctness, a well spring of multiculturalism, multi-language, wide open border that is twisting our countries laws. The US government is full of copious, over-manned agencies and many could be absorbed in one agency. A good start would be dismantling the bureaucratic Dept of Education and return it to School districts and parents. Their main interest in border control, is building the double layer security fence, guarded in watchtowers by either 5000 National Guard troops or the US military.

Leftist advocates say that building a barrier between us and an oppressed people is too expensive. Yet if we could seal the borders cross examine tourists with one way airline tickets, the dollars saved would be astronomical. Far outweighing the dollar amount to support those who come here illegally. the Large corporate business will continue the fight against this, even though they brought this upon themselves by exporting hundreds of thousands of jobs abroad and importing cheap labor, instead of training their own countryman. YES! to top margins of scientists and engineers. NO! to the poor, uneducated who will become a taxpayers payout. Visa applications must have more oversight, as their is so much fraud going on between corporate lawyers and and the US Dept of Labor. Their is massive seepage here of mediocre cheap labor and coming through the sieve of bad policies.

One of the determining factors stressed by the TEA PARTY is national security and this doesn’t seem to be a priority, that’s why hundreds or perhaps even more middle Eastern from unfriendly countries have been smuggled into the US. Just like the Unions using threats to intimidate business in Wisconsin that spreading, taxpayers should boycott business or any entity hiring illegal workers; even blowing the whistle, so that dirty business gets audited. Say—NO—to any form, any secret or covert amnesties, Dream Acts, Chain Migration, Sanctuary Cities or the reprehensible Comprehensive Immigration reform that has dire financial consequence. The Tea PARTY and its propagating millions should be adamant to lawmakers, which E-Verify, Secure Communities and the 287 g policing action must be nationwide mandated. That covers a wide spectrum of issues that will illustrate Americans mean business; that has no intentions of compromising against the $100 billion in your dollars, to be cut from the US Treasury deficit

As yet we have a negative government fighting over the US budget, which amplifies the massive spending spree that the liberals have always promoted. It’s obvious that these people have no conception of what they have propelled into this great land. The immigrants of old didn’t scream and shout demanding welfare, unemployment benefits, health care, education, and Section 8 housing, food stamps, Wicca, Medicaid, or cash payments. Has any taxpayer thought about the hundreds of billions of dollars that goes out to support foothold babies? Not just the hospital deliveries, but until they reach their 18 birthday, with the rest of the family gripping onto every dollar received. They made their way here without any help and survived, bring America to a pinnacle of prosperity. The new illegal newcomers are destroying America from their demands and that is what the TEA PARTY is going to grind to a halt.

Our country is on the slippery slope of bankruptcy. My recommendation to all taxpayers is fill the ranks of the TEA PARTY, that even certain politicians are absconding. The TEA PARTY is the cement that is not going away and it’s turning into a real revolution against both parties that has determined our future for too long. Fight back or we keep adding to the 14 Trillion US treasury deficit.

ATTN: DONALD TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT: Stop the inexcusable trade deficits with China and other cheap labor countries, that is siphoning our money with cheap, inferior goods.

Our voting laws are no longer fraud-free. Illegal aliens voted in Texas, New Mexico and possibly California and Nevada in the previous elections. Our countries voting laws were based on integrity and trust, but today that’s not possible anymore.

NO Copyright, ever. Distribute freely.

6. Gus says:

Many people do not realize that the government of Mexico, according to their constitution, only recognizes citizenship of their people as Mexican regardless of where they are born. So, any baby born in the USA of Mexican illegals, and there are millions of them, are Mexican citizens!

7. Jessy says:

Ignorants hahaha, can’t do anything about it

8. Jessy says:

My mom was illegal and guess what!!! she never get nothing free she always work and she also pay taxes and guess what!!! In ten years I’m going to be the president of the u.s.a and im gonna give everything free to illegal people so u all can say something true! Yeahhh u all know what illegal people get but never say what they give

9. Ronbo says:

BINGO! And the next question is why hasn’t the Rollins College administration taken action against their Leftist radicals for trashing a conservative student, Hmmm? After all, she is paying upwards of $50,000 a year in tuition and associated costs to attend the so-called, “Harvard of the South” and these tenured radicals are in effect her employees. I wouldn’t last long at my job if told the boss to “Shut your damn mouth about immigration, you racist pig.”

1. […] to a time where America attracted only the best and the brightest to its golden shores.” Read the rest of this post on College Media Matters… Related Post […]

2. […] In Pizzi’s words, “‘[A]nchor babies,’ as they are commonly referred, gain full citizenship from simply being born on American soil, and they are entitled to all the same benefits as you and I, including: free public school educations, financial aid for college and even Medicaid. . . . When our own citizens are struggling to afford adequate health care and public schools become more and more crowded, we should not even consider keeping birthright citizenship. . . . America has a crucial decision to make: continue to attract those who want a free ride, or return to a time where America attracted only the best and the brightest to its golden shores.” Read the rest of this post on College Media Matters… […]

3. […] In Pizzi’s words, “‘[A]nchor babies,’ as they are commonly referred, gain full citizenship from simply being born on American soil, and they are entitled to all the same benefits as you and I, including: free public school educations, financial aid for college and even Medicaid. . . . When our own citizens are struggling to afford adequate health care and public schools become more and more crowded, we should not even consider keeping birthright citizenship. . . . America has a crucial decision to make: continue to attract those who want a free ride, or return to a time where America attracted only the best and the brightest to its golden shores.” Read the rest of this post on College Media Matters… […]

4. […] Read More  Related Posts Sarasota opposes Bennett’s immigration bill Herald Tribune J. David McSwane SARASOTA – A small group of citizens cheered Monday night as City Commission voted 3-2 to sign “The Florida Compact,” a broad declaration of opposition to Arizona-style … READ MORE Across our Borders: Searching for Solutions to Legal and Illegal Immigration Title: Across our Borders: Searching for Solutions to Legal and Illegal Immigration Location: Bradenton, Florida Description: February 14th at 12-1pm: Across our Borders: Searching for Solutions to Legal and Illegal … READ MORE Sarasota mayor seeks resolution on immigration By J. DAVID McSWANE SARASOTA – Sarasota Mayor Kelly Kirschner is urging city commissioners to oppose a new Arizona-style immigration bill churning at the state capitol. If other commissioners follow Kirschner's lead … READ MORE Sarasota mayor seeks resolution on immigration By J. DAVID McSWANE SARASOTA – Sarasota Mayor Kelly Kirschner is urging city commissioners to oppose a new Arizona-style immigration bill churning at the state capitol. If other commissioners follow Kirschner's lead … READ MORE Across our Borders: Searching for solutions to Legal and Illegal Immigration Title: Across our Borders  Searching for solutions to Legal and Illegal Immigration Location: Bradenton, Florida Description: February 14th at 12-1pm: Across our Borders: Searching for Solutions to Legal and Illegal Immigration … READ MORE Across our Borders: Searching for solutions to Legal and Illegal Immigration Title: Across our Borders  Searching for solutions to Legal and Illegal Immigration Location: Bradenton, Florida Description: February 14th at 12-1pm: Across our Borders: Searching for Solutions to Legal and Illegal Immigration … READ MORE Sarasota opposes Bennett’s immigration bill Across our Borders: Searching for Solutions to Sarasota mayor seeks resolution on immigration Sarasota mayor seeks resolution on immigration Across our Borders: Searching for solutions to Legal Across our Borders: Searching for solutions to Legal […]

5. […] writes op-ed against illegal immigration, prompts huge outcry from other students and […]

6. […] Isn’t college supposed to be about the free flow of ideas? Leftist faculty at Rollins College are out to get a student, Jamie Pizzi, for daring to write an opinion piece on anchor babies. These […]

7. […] Illegal Immigration Column Causes Controversy at Florida’s Rollins College […]

8. […] Media Matters gave prominent play to Pizzi critics who accused her of being a Nazi, supporting genocide and promoting an atmosphere of hate and […]

9. […] Isn’t college suppose to be about the free flow of ideas? Leftist faculty at Rollins College is out to get a student, Jamie Pizzi, for daring to write an opinion piece on “anchor babies”. These so-called ambassadors of tolerance are only for free speech when you are spouting liberalism. Conservative speech is swiftly met with severe punishment until it is silenced.http://collegemediamatters.com/2011/03/26/illegal-immigration-colum… […]