Student Press Oscar Reviews: ‘Academy Awards Ceremony an Example of Extreme Mediocrity’

In live blogs and late-night recaps, the campus press responded mostly negatively to Sunday’s Oscars.  Perhaps the harshest sentiments appeared in The Kentucky Kernel: “The telecast of the 83rd annual Academy Awards ceremony was an example of extreme mediocrity.”  Below is a sampling of reviews, pulled from seven student newspapers.

“Anne and James do their best with weak material, clearly aiming for the teenage demographic. Anne soldiers on admirably, James looks like he’d rather be in an opium den. . . . In a cheap move to avert criticism of the show, the Academy ends the spectacle with the children of Staten Island’s PS22 chorus, performing ‘Over the Rainbow.’ Somehow, as David Fincher, Javier Bardem and Michelle Williams depart empty handed, the song seems gutted of its wistful idealism.”  (The Daily Trojan)

“Franco and Hathaway completely lost the audience, and myself, during their opening monologue. It got a few deserving laughs, but the stagnant moments seemed to outweigh the humorous ones. Franco didn’t seem to know where he was all night, nor did he seem to care, and Hathaway changed outfits more often than she got laughs.”  (The Minaret)

The telecast of the 83rd annual Academy Awards ceremony was an example of extreme mediocrity.  From who won, to the skits and acceptance speeches; it was a cut right down the middle between good and bad.  James Franco and Anne Hathaway were respectful and talented hosts, but most of their material, from the Alec Baldwin opening skit to Franco putting on a dress for an awkward minute, was clunky and often not funny at all. The best moments seemed to be ad-libs.”  (The Kentucky Kernel)

“Anne Hathaway and James Franco . . . were entertaining. She carried all the weight, and at times she got a little too crazy. The suggestions that James Franco was smoking weed backstage have already begun based on how clueless he seemed the whole night. However, I will say that I absolutely loved their intro video. ‘You’ve been INCEPTIONED,’ and Morgan Freeman saying Alec Baldwin likes him to narrate his dreams are just so wonderful and entertaining that I wonder why no one thought of this concept sooner.  In other news, can Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law host next year?”  (The Eagle)

It was a ‘spread the wealth’ year, where the Academy chose to single out many films instead of piling accolades on one, and in many ways that made for a more rewarding ceremony, even despite the ultimately safe choice of ‘The King’s Speech’ as Best Picture.  While co-hosts Anne Hathaway and James Franco had a splash of an opening, going into Alec Baldwin’s dreams to learn how to be good Oscars hosts, only to find themselves navigating through scenes of the nominated films, the rest of their hosting job was thoroughly one-sided, with Hathaway more than stealing the show.”  (The Daily Gamecock)

As Colin Firth claims his Best Actor Oscar for “The King’s Speech”:

Cory Barker: He’s totally stuttering his way through this. Is this some sort of performance art?

As we begin to make sickening realizations:

Cory Barker: True Grit – 0, The Wolfman – 1, Alice – 2

As “King’s Speech” is declared the Best Picture of 2010:

Mikel Kjell: Knew king’s speech was going to win when they used it for the f*cking narration of the nominees

Cory Barker: I hope there’s outcry on Twitter like the Grammys. “WHO THE F*CK IS THE KING AND WHAT IS HIS SPEECH.”

Adam Lukach: whatisakingsspeech.tumblr.com (not a real site)  (The Indiana Daily Student)

[T]he skits and the jokes were few and far between. On the bright side, the Oscars ended at a scheduled three hours. On the downside, the whole show felt like a checklist of awards, and the brief moments of excitement came with the few surprise awards.”  (The Oregon Daily Emerald)