For ‘Potter’ Premiere, BSU Paper Becomes Daily Prophet

“With seven books, eight movies, a theme park and millions of fans,” a new piece in The Ball State Daily News confirms, “‘Harry Potter’ has sprouted from a simple idea to a $15 billion franchise.”  It has also inspired a temporary campus newspaper reinvention.

The latest issue of Ball State University’s student paper has been refashioned into The Daily Prophet in honor of the eponymous publication appearing in the HP universe (hat tip to Charles Apple over at ACES).  The BSDN version features articles about various aspects of muggle living, Quidditch match recaps, and a confession from a BSU student about the “unforgivable movie sin” of not seeing all the HP films. A separate teaser also promises “breaking news updates about Azkaban breakouts [and] He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’s whereabouts.”

Along with the content, the fantastically creative editorial effort also embodies the Prophet‘s look- literally appearing with a shifting vertical-horizontal layout.  And, most impressive, the front page (online at least) is interactive– sporting a video report and a pair of photo slideshows accesible with a simple point and click.

A portion of a piece on a BSU student/Potter superfan:

Reaching into the bags [in his dorm closet], Johnson pulls out the following ‘Harry Potter’-themed items: two snow globes, four coffee mugs, one audiobook, the UK version of the first three books, four silver and gold Hogwarts bookmarks, a Christmas stocking, ‘The Tales of Beedle the Bard,’ a poster from the ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’ book release, the 10th anniversary edition of ‘Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone’ and three ‘HP7’ mini-posters.  Seeing the collection laid out on a coffee table for the first time, even he seems shocked. ‘Wow, I guess this is a little ridiculous, isn’t it?‘ [the student] says with a laugh.