Latest Comic Controversy: UCONN’s Daily Campus

Comedy is increasingly causing controversy within collegemediatopia. Since last spring, at least a half dozen high-profile student press firestorms have been hand-drawn- centered on campus papers’ editorial cartoons or original comics.

The latest: a debate dubbed “cartoon-gate” at the University of Connecticut focused on a pair of comics published last month in The Daily Campus. They were run one atop the other, featuring messages some considered sexist and downright offensive.

As one report described the comics, “The first [screenshot below] said: ‘Forget sugar and spice and everything nice. Try crabs, scabs and everything viral. That’s what girls are really made of.’  The second [a portion of it seen in lower screenshot] implied that a girl, who was not ready for sex, could be lured into the bedroom with a shiny diamond ring.”

The strips stirred outrage among some on campus and earned a public condemnation from the campus chapter of the Violence Against Women Prevention Project.

As one student wrote in a letter to the editor: “I am so disgusted by comics you ran . . . that frankly I was fully set to bypass even writing a letter to the editor but heading straight for the Board of Trustees to appeal for a refund of my student fees, which fund this newspaper.”  Another letter writer stated, “[Both comics are] INCREDIBLY offensive to females. The editor of this section should not have allowed either of them to be published in the paper. I ask that there be some sort of public apology made due to the degrading nature of the cartoons directed towards females.”

In a published statement, the Daily Campus editor in chief did not apologize, but admitted the strips “failed as satire” and confirmed that the editorial policy concerning comics will be strengthened.  The comic artists also issued responses.

One Response to “Latest Comic Controversy: UCONN’s Daily Campus”
  1. […] Latest Comic Controversy: UCONN’s Daily Campus Comedy is increasingly causing controversy within collegemediatopia. Since last spring, at least a half dozen high-profile student press … Dan Reimold […]