Student Newspaper Allowed to Resume Publishing, One Issue Too Late

The contractual gobbledygook that led to a recent student press-school admin. standoff at California’s Southwestern College has been settled.  But, according to the Student Press Law Center, tensions remain.

The gist, as I previously outlined: The semester starts.  Southwestern College officials suddenly block publication of the student paper’s first issue.  They say The Sun must follow a previously-ignored rule on the school books.  The rule requires the paper “to put its printing business out to competitive bid and sign a contract with the winning bidder.”

The paper’s faculty adviser and student editors cry foul over the timing of administrators’ must-bid requirement.  They say it may be an attempt to stop publication of some highly-charged local election stories the staff are putting to bed. Administrators deny the censorship charge, confirming the paper is still free to publish online.  Cue SPLC involvement and related media coverage.

Now, the bid process is apparently over.  So the Sun is free to print once again.  Its editors, though, are saying it is one issue too late.  They canceled the printing of the first issue of the semester due to the out-of-the-blue blockage.

Some stories ran online.  Yet, most were held for what will now be issue-two-turned-into-one, in hopes they will still resonate.  The Sun adviser: “[Staffers] are kind of keeping their cards close to their chests, they want to put it out in print first. There’s symbolic reasons now for doing all of this.”  (For those keeping score, that’s one more vote for the staying power of print.)

One Response to “Student Newspaper Allowed to Resume Publishing, One Issue Too Late”
  1. […] the start of the previous school year, Southwestern administrators literally blocked publication of the student paper’s first issue.  They suddenly said the Sun had to follow a […]