CMM 10: Leah Finnegan & Jose Antonio Vargas, Huffington Post College

CMM 10 is a spotlighting of the 10 individuals who have mattered most to college media over the past academic year.  This inaugural edition honors a mix of standout student journalists, innovative student media entrepreneurs, and impassioned outside advocates of campus press 2.0.  With a hat tip to the annual Time 100, the posts announcing each honoree include a few words of adoration penned by a close friend or colleague.  Next up…

Leah Finnegan & Jose Antonio Vargas

Editors, Huffington Post College

Huffington Post College is a high-profile destination site promoting student newswork and providing readers with a glimpse of what’s going down in the current campus zeitgeist. It has become a refreshing part of my morning web browsing and the embodiment of what section co-founder Jose Antonio Vargas callsthe golden age for journalism, a time for experimentation, entrepreneurship and creativity.”  Or as his fellow co-founder Leah Finnegan writes, “I’m not worried about the future of journalism. Rest assured it exists, en masse, typing away on college campuses around the country. And it’s here at HuffPost College that you’ll get to see a lot more of it.”

Leah Finnegan & Jose Antonio Vargas

Vargas: Laser-Sharp, Kind, Masterful Journalist

By Leah Finnegan

There’s no better person in the world to work with than Jose Antonio. He’s laser-sharp, kind and has this finesse that I wish was sold bottled in stores. From the beginning we agreed that HuffPost College would be a different sort of site– a mix of the fun and the serious, the old and the new. And in a matter of months- weeks, even- it was that, because of Jose’s guidance and higher vision for it. His attention to the bigger picture while taking care of details is something only the most masterful journalist embodies.

Finnegan: “She Loves Journalism, Breathes It, Lives It”

By Jose Antonio Vargas

What drew me to Leah, first and foremost, is her passion. She loves journalism, breathes it, lives it and lives for it, and it’s just the kind of enthusiasm that makes her a joy to work with. When I think of a young, 21-st century multimedia, multiplatform journalist, I think of someone who mixes, fluidly and compellingly, old-school, shoe-leather, let’s-knock-on-doors reporting with the oceanic possibilities of the social web. I think of someone like Leah, the kind of young journalist we need in these changing and exciting times.

Other CMM 10 honorees:

–-

Karla Bowsher, University Press

Ryan Dunn & Dave Hendricks, College News Network

Adam Goldstein, Student Press Law Center

Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan & Annie Wang, Her Campus

Davis Shaver, Onward State

Jennifer Waits, Spinning Indie

One Response to “CMM 10: Leah Finnegan & Jose Antonio Vargas, Huffington Post College”
  1. […] Leah Finnegan & Jose Antonio Vargas, Huffington Post College […]