Princeton Review Names Best College Newspapers

The Princeton Review has released its annual listing of the biggest and best at colleges and unis nationwide.  Along with rundowns of the top party schools, school athletic facilities, and student radio stations, the Review has named the best U.S. college newspapers.

The top 20 sways heavily toward indie pubs at large state schools that publish just about daily and still enjoy large print circs.  One heartening name to see on the list: The Hilltop at Howard University, which went through a rough financial patch back in 2008.

The full list is below.  By the way, the Review only names the schools on its site (free registration required to access it), not the student papers affiliated with them.  So before scrolling down this post, a fun game for the j-geeks out there: the student newspaper knowledge test. How many student papers can you name from the Review’s list of schools, without Googling?  (I nabbed 19 out of 20.  Sorry Battalion!  Brief mental block. Oh, and WVU, yes, I needed a spell check on Athenaeum.) :)

1. The Yale Daily News, Yale University

2. The Daily Tar Heel, University of North Carolina

3. The Diamondback, University of Maryland

4. The Hilltop, Howard University

5. The Battalion, Texas A&M University

6. The Daily Collegian, Penn State University

7. The Harvard Crimson, Harvard University

8. The State News, Michigan State University

9. The Chronicle, Duke University

10. The Daily Reveille, Louisiana State University

11. The Daily Athenaeum, West Virginia University

12. The Daily Texan, University of Texas at Austin

13. The Daily Bruin, UCLA

14. The Independent Florida Alligator, University of Florida

15. The Indiana Daily Student, Indiana University

16. The Badger Herald, University of Wisconsin-Madison

17. The Daily Northwestern, Northwestern University

18. The Daily Mississippian, University of Mississippi

19. The Cornell Daily Sun, Cornell University

20. The Pipe Dream, State University of New York at Binghamton

15 Responses to “Princeton Review Names Best College Newspapers”
  1. Bryan Murley says:

Just out of curiousity, how do they rank these?

I’m not going to register for their site to find out, because I think such rankings are – quite frankly – meaningless bullpuckey.

• Kevin says:

They rank them by student surveys – I believe the question is something like “Do you read the college newspaper?”

2. Dan says:

Bryan & Kevin- Thanks for the responses. :) I definitely agree the “voting” system is more B.S. than can’t-miss. (I honestly thought that was common knowledge! I mean, this is the outfit that boasts “best party schools.” :) But seriously, Bryan, great post exposing its ridiculousness) I’m personally in favor of any rankings/awards, within reason, that provide more exposure to student media. This one is certainly on the low end of the credibility totem pole, but if we really looked closer at a lot of the merit-based awards/set-ups, there are flaws with all of them. For example, was the UWIRE 100 really anything more than a highlight reel for those with the ambition to send in a self-nomination or bother their profs or advisers or editors to do it for them? (And I loved that honor, don’t get me wrong.) This is actually a good larger issue to discuss (maybe in a podcast?). But also, let’s be honest, the 20 pubs that did make this Princeton Review list were decent. I personally disagree with the inclusion/exclusion of a few, but overall while the methodology may be lacking the final result was solid. That’s my two cents.

3. Sara says:

Interesting list – but how many students actually find the time to read a newspaper?

• Leslie Heck says:

Sara, at my alma mater, Ohio University, a ton of students read ours, The Post, every day–during the ten minutes between classes, time waiting for a bus, grabbing a coffee, even sneaking it during class :-/ ! It certainly helped that The Post had a newspaper rack in the lobby of every lecture hall, the registrar, different floors of the student union, many administrative building and some dorms. Having sodoku in the daily paper was also a draw for many students! If the paper is good enough, covers campus/town goings-on that matter to students and breaks good investigative stories once in awhile, students will read it!

4. Amber says:

Does this include school magazines as well? Also, is design being considered in the printed form or is it more about the journalism?

5. how does Howard get #4? the website is horrible.

1. […] 5, 2010 by Dan My review of the Princeton Review’s latest ranking of the best college newspapers: solid, but incomplete.  Among the student papers I hereby nominate for inclusion in the 2010 […]

2. […] Princeton Review’s “20 Best College Newspapers” is a joke (rant) By Bryan, on August 5th, 2010 Via Dan at College Media Matters, we find the Princeton Review's "Top 20 Best College Newspapers." […]

3. […] August 6, 2010 by Wesley Lowery Like every college student in America (and especially Ohio University students), I was quick to check out the annual party school rankings released last week by the Princeton Review. But that was the only list I was looking forward too, and after noting OU’s rise to the #2 party school in the nation, I headed over the to “Best Newspaper” rankings. […]

4. […] August 25, 2010 by Dan Earlier this month, the traffic for this blog suddenly spiked to its highest levels- ever.  An analytics check revealed that a pair of posts accounted for a bulk of the unexpected surge.  Both were about the same thing: the 2010 Princeton Review list of the “Best College Newspapers.” […]

5. […] Princeton Review Names Best College Newspapers « College Media Along with rundowns of the top party schools, school athletic facilities, and student radio stations, the Review has named the best U.S. college newspapers. […]

6. […] Princeton Review Names Best College Newspapers « College MediaEmbark.com is a website resource to search, apply and finance your best fit college undergraduate, graduate and MBA programs. Prepare, check your status, get financial aid and scholarships, and submit online applications to over 5000 schools in one click. … find your best fit schools … compare school stats and costs… […]

7. […] Princeton Review Names Best College Newspapers « College Mediaon August 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Reply 15 Newspapers That Belong on Princeton Review ‘Best’ List « College Media Matters … Posted in College Media, Journalism, Student Newspaper | 7 Comments… […]

8. […] Princeton Review Names Best College Newspapers « College MediaWelcome to the company profile of The Princeton Review on LinkedIn. The Princeton Review (NASDAQ: REVU) is a leading provider of educational services. […]