CMM 10: Davis Shaver, Founder & Publisher, Onward State

CMM 10 is a spotlighting of the 10 individuals who have mattered most to college media over the past academic year.  This inaugural edition honors a mix of standout student journalists, innovative student media entrepreneurs, and impassioned outside advocates of campus press 2.0.  With a hat tip to the annual Time 100, the posts announcing each honoree include a few words of adoration penned by a close friend or colleague.  Next up…

Davis Shaver

Founder & publisher, Onward State, Penn State University

Nowadays, the most interesting student media outlets are not just being staffed.  They are being created.  Davis Shaver’s creation, Onward State, is among the most prominent new players in collegemediatopia- a flash-bang success with recognized staying power.  Shaver is being called an online whiz kid and the potential “future of alternative student media.”  I would not be surprised if he sports a secret Journalism 3.0 tattoo.  His new media methods are laudable, and so is his timeless aim: delivering news and commentary of interest and importance to students.

“His Work Ethic and Drive Match His Vision”

By Evan Kalikow

The thing that has always impressed me about Davis is that his work ethic and drive match his vision. A lot of times, people will have great ideas, but they won’t have the dedication to go through with them. Not so with Davis. From the first day I knew him, he had a great idea for a student-run blog about Penn State. Thanks in large part to his pragmatism and dedication, that blog is now a reality and has been going strong for almost two years.

On a more personal note, another great thing about Davis is his diverse sense of humor. He can appreciate a well-crafted and witty joke about current affairs, philosophy, culture, etc., and then turn around and laugh at a poop joke (and believe me, we’ve exchanged plenty of both). It’s something I’ve always admired.

Kalikow is standards editor at Onward State.

Other CMM 10 honorees:

Adam Goldstein, Student Press Law Center

Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan & Annie Wang, Her Campus

5 Responses to “CMM 10: Davis Shaver, Founder & Publisher, Onward State”
  1. […] Davis Shaver, Onward State Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Open Letter to Newseum: Put Student Press on Display!25 Random Things About Modern College Media: Part 2Obama Cartoon Leads to Student Press Oversight Battle […]