CMM 10: Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan & Annie Wang, Her Campus Founders

CMM 10 is a spotlighting of the 10 individuals who have mattered most to college media over the past academic year.  This inaugural edition honors a mix of standout student journalists, innovative student media entrepreneurs, and impassioned outside advocates of campus press 2.0.  With a hat tip to the annual Time 100, the posts announcing each honoree include a few words of adoration penned by a close friend or colleague.  First up…

Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan & Annie Wang

Founders and overseers, Her Campus

Her Campus has impressed me since its start last fall.  Its founders, Harvard students at the time and now recent grads, are fearless.  They spotted a national niche- an opening for a student-produced “hub for everything college women need to know”- and they dove in with gusto.  The site now sports fresh content daily, dozens of student writers, significant social media followings, lots of unique visitors, growing media coverage and ad sales, and an expansion that includes school-specific My Campus branches.  Most impressively, through it all, its trio of founders and continued overseers seem to be having a great time.

Left to right: Stephanie, Windsor, and Annie. Photo by Katerina Stavreva.

Hanger: Endless Will, Always Willing to Learn

By Stephanie Kaplan

I feel so lucky to have met and been able to work with my co-founder Windsor Hanger. Windsor and I met during our sophomore year at Harvard College, working on Harvard’s online lifestyle and fashion magazine. We quickly realized what an incredible team we made and how much we enjoyed working together. After taking over leadership of the magazine and seeing its performance skyrocket, we knew we had to take what we had learned there and turn it into a real business.  After countless hours- at all hours of the night- spent working, we entered and went on to win Harvard’s business plan competition with our plan for what is now Her Campus. We then spent last summer preparing Her Campus for its launch in September 2009, and then spent this year running our company.

I love working with Windsor because she is so driven, such a go-getter, and so passionate.  Her endless will and energy have allowed us to accomplish so much in such a short time. She is always willing to learn and never scared of taking on a new project. Plus she’s a lot of fun to be around! Windsor is not only an amazing business partner, but also an amazing friend, and I feel so lucky to get to work with her every day!

Kaplan is CEO and editor in chief of Her Campus.

Kaplan: “A Business Partner and Friend

By Annie Wang

I have known Stephanie Kaplan for three years as a business partner and friend. I have found Stephanie to be an extraordinarily dedicated and effective leader, and a role model for other women. Stephanie is a passionate and entrepreneurial person who leverages her personal interests and expertise to solve needs in the world around her.  For example, her identification of a gap in media targeting college women led to our co-founding of Her Campus. Stephanie’s natural leadership and managerial skills have allowed Her Campus. expansionary mission to succeed.

In addition to being a great business partner, Stephanie is also a good friend of mine. I lived with Stephanie in New York City last summer, and we shared some memorable experiences cooking dinner, talking about our days, and brainstorming for Her Campus.  These past few years, we’ve also been known to exchange e-mails featuring pictures of cute animals, especially kittens (Stephanie’s favorite!). I believe it’s rare to find a business partner and friend in the same individual; getting to know Stephanie has, without question, been one of the highlights of my college career thus far.

Wang is CTO and creative director of Her Campus.

Wang: “An Integral Part of Our Team”

By Windsor Hanger

Annie Wang is one of the most impressive women I’ve ever met. In addition to her phenomenal web and graphic design skills, Annie is a VES (fine arts) major at Harvard, where she spends her time making animations and painting, among other things. In addition, Annie designs clothes, writes music, and plays four musical instruments.

On top of all this, Annie is a phenomenal person to interact with. She is exceptionally kind and wears a smile on her face continually. I could not feel more blessed than I do having Annie on the team at Her Campus. She is an integral part of our team and an amazing business partner. I feel very lucky to have met her and to have been able to build a business with her by my side.

Hanger is president and publisher of Her Campus.

8 Responses to “CMM 10: Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan & Annie Wang, Her Campus Founders”
  1. People do not know how to ending relationships . It is very important to know how to breakup

1. […] Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan & Annie Wang, Her Campus […]

2. […] Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan & Annie Wang, Her Campus […]

3. […] Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan & Annie Wang, Her Campus […]

4. […] Windsor Hanger, Stephanie Kaplan & Annie Wang, Her Campus […]

5. […] July 2010, I selected the student founders– Kaplan, Windsor Hanger, and Annie Wang– for CMM’s College Media Hall of Fame.  At the time, I […]