Daily Kansan to Continue Receiving Student Fees Support

In a meeting last night, the student senate at the University of Kansas voted to uphold the $83,000 provided to The Daily Kansan through student fees. The decision to leave things as they are arrives roughly one month after the start of this fairly dramatic fight, one that had potential implications for many campus publications nationwide that are partially supported by approved student fees.

In early March, the university’s student body president publicly called for a discontinuation of this portion of the newspaper’s funding, citing perceived and real conflict of interest issues.  In his words, “There is a lot of potential for undue influence both ways.”  Soon after, the senate’s finance committee approved the cuts, paving the way for this final full senate vote, which has thankfully confirmed Kansan support.

As the Kansan editorial board announced in a brief statement posted to its Web site an hour ago, “In showing their support for the Kansan, they [student senators] are showing their support for the efforts made by the students who dedicate time and energy to provide the student body with a quality publication. The Kansan‘s content will not suffer from the loses that would have been inevitable if cuts to funding had been approved.”  The editorial’s headline summed it up best, stating simply, “Senate Made the Right Choice.”

One Response to “Daily Kansan to Continue Receiving Student Fees Support”
  1. […] In an update to a situation we told you about last month, The Daily Kansas will not lose $83,000 in student funding. Originally, the paper was in jeopardy of losing the funding next school year. The canceled cash flow was the idea of the University of Kansas student body president. The president believed providing The Kansan with money from a student media fee could be compared to the U.S. government giving The New York Times money. The cuts were approved by one of the student senate’s committees; however, lucid minds prevailed in the full senate. In a brief statement, which appears to be offline, The Kansan said, “In showing their support for the Kansan, they are showing their support for the efforts made by the students who dedicate time and energy to provide the student body with a quality publication.” You can see a cache of the editorial here, and read a post about the victory at the College Media Matters blog here. […]