Syracuse University Dining Halls Now Open to All Servings of the Student Press

The dining halls at Syracuse University are at long last deliciously free of student press censorship.  A report in the SU’s Daily Orange (via Paper Trailsconfirms the reversal of a long-held policy by the school’s Food Services allowing distribution of only the Orange in student dining halls.  Food Services staffers did not have a problem with competing pubs, they just did not like the added waste.

Or at least that has been the official word.  The real story is even less appetizing- brought to light by Jerk, a monthly SU student magazine that also sports a blog with a beyond impressive amount of updates.  Jerk editor said she was recently stopped from distributing the current issue of the magazine in a dining hall by a Food Services employee, solely because the employee did not like the content.

Lorraine Branham, the dean of SU’s Newhouse School of Public Communications: “It was clear that it was a policy that wasn’t being enforced for years. This policy was unwritten, unknown and the magazine had distributed (in dining centers) for years. If you actually thought about it, it made no sense. Someone was suddenly making it a problem because of something they saw in the magazine.”

The university chancellor has now publicly confirmed the cancellation of the policy, enabling Jerk and other Orange alternatives to be consumed by interested students.  (Check out a brief video report detailing the Jerk removal incident.)

4 Responses to “Syracuse University Dining Halls Now Open to All Servings of the Student Press”
  1. […] A judge disagreed, siding with the school’s contention “that there was no basis for discrimination.”  The underlying message of the suit’s dismissal: A university has a right to afford its official student publications with certain privileges not offered to alternative, independent or underground outlets, including increased distribution rights.  (Read about Syracuse University’s recent cafeteria distribution issue.) […]

2. […] Comments on: Syracuse University Dining Halls Now Open to All Servings of the Student Press […]

3. […] Comments on: Syracuse University Dining Halls Now Open to All Servings of the Student Press […]

4. […] Comments on: Syracuse University Dining Halls Now Open to All Servings of the Student Press This entry was posted in Orangemen and tagged Campus, College, Distribution, Liable, Limiting, Matters, Media, Newspaper’s, Oregon, State, Student by admin. Bookmark the permalink. […]