Print Journalism Track Converged in New UNLV Curriculum

The end may be near for print journalism, the professional field and the academic major.  The Hank Greenspun School of Journalism and Media Studies at UNLV is the latest j-school or program to announce a curricular reshuffle that includes an ink-stained goodbye to the print journalism concentration.

What used to be four tracks (print journalism, broadcast journalism, media studies and integrated marketing communications) now are two (journalism and media studies, and marketing communications).  As the school’s undergraduate coordinator told the Rebel Yell student newspaper: “There was some frustration among students who were looking for jobs after graduating but weren’t getting the jobs because they weren’t fluent in different media like the Internet. Journalists in the real world can’t be burdened by those barriers.  It’s our attempt at making our curriculum more realistic. . . . To turn out traditionalists that are only trained in [Associated Press-style] writing for print is doing students a disservice.”

What do you think? In a news media universe in which print still dominates but possibly not much longer, should print-specific tracks within university j-programs be broadened, reorganized or dropped entirely? I like the words of Greenspun’s director Daniel Stout on this one: “There was a time when journalism was separated into various industries, but today the media environment is converged.”

One Response to “Print Journalism Track Converged in New UNLV Curriculum”
  1. Natalie says:

You should see what they’ve done to the program now Dan!