Best College Media Quotes, Fall 2009

This is the sixth installment of a multi-post glimpse back at the highlights and lowlights of fall 2009 in collegemediatopia.

Best College Media Quotes

“Besides being illegal, heavy-handed control of college student publications is widely recognized both as unethical and as an unsound educational practice that deprives students of valuable learning opportunities. . . . They [students] are old enough to drive cars, purchase firearms, sign contracts, get married, vote, serve on juries, and strap on rifles and die for their country. They are certainly old enough to decide which student would make the best layout editor.”

Student Press Law Center executive director Frank LoMonte, chastising Clark College officials for heavy-handed involvement in student newspaper staff selection

It would be the same as cutting chemicals from the chemistry budget. The paper provides a window into the college, not just for the 30 students who help produce it but for all the students and the community.”

– Faculty adviser, The Collegian, LA City College, reacting to the newspaper’s budget cuts

–-

“Right before we came back, people started to realize the value of the student newspaper, because they didn’t know what was going on. We did our best to run stories online . . . but students don’t go online to read their campus newspaper. They might go online to read the New York Times or the Washington Post, but a campus newspaper is supposed to be there when you’re walking to your classes; it’s supposed to be there when you’re walking out of your dorm.”

– Editor of The Hilltop at Howard University, about the paper’s reemergence on campus after a semester’s absence

We are surrounded by people who say that the world is coming to an end, but it is just beginning for you.”

– A professor addressing j-students, referencing the rise in predictions about journalism’s demise