Memphis Student Newspaper Copies “Absolutely” Trashed

Well, I will give her credit for clarity.  The sister of a University of Memphis student suspected of burning the rainbow flag outside the Memphis Gay and Lesbian Community Center said she “absolutely” trashed hundreds- possibly thousands- of copies of the The Daily Helmsman that featured a story on her brother’s misdeeds.

But of course, alas, that is the last thing clear-cut about the incident.  Since the student newspapers are free, it is “legal gray area” time!  As one report noted, “The woman didn’t litter with the newspapers . . . and she told the reporter she looked at each one before she threw it away. ‘There are other free publications around town,” [the director of campus police services said], ‘and I guess if someone wants to pick up 10 or 20, where do you draw the line?'”

The Helmsman though is reporting that campus police say it may be malicious mischief.  Ryan Poe, the paper’s managing editor: “She committed a crime, not only against the Helmsman, but also against the Helmsman‘s readers, who rely on the newspaper for their information. Although she disagreed with the story, throwing away the newspapers was out of line.”

So the brother allegedly burned the rainbow flag. Now the sister is accused of trashing tons of newspapers. What do these siblings have against the First Amendment???

3 Responses to “Memphis Student Newspaper Copies “Absolutely” Trashed”
  1. Joshua Lynch says:

It’s also theft from the newspaper’s advertisers, who pay for their advertisements to be seen based on circulation projections–not trashed by one malicious, free-speech hating student.

2. An easy out for student newspapers wanting to take legal action is to build a notation into the mast or the index that says “first copy free” or something to that effect.

1. […] Finally, a separate mention must be made of the sister of a University of Memphis student suspected of burning a rainbow flag last November outside the Memphis Gay and Lesbian Community Center. The young woman said she “absolutely” trashed hundreds- possibly thousands- of copies of the The Daily Helmsman that featured a story on her brother’s alleged wrongdoing to somewhat lessen his embarrassment. While I understand the woman’s sisterly instincts, her steal-and-toss MO was still hella-wrong and of course ultimately worked to bring yet more attention to her brother’s terrible behavior. Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Most Impressive College Media Startup, Fall 2009It’s the E-Content, StupidNo TitleMedia Bias in the Political Process […]