Story Idea: Student Newspaper Presents Editorial as Facebook News Feed

It is Student Life day here at CMM! I am not talking about undergraduates’ beyond-class campus experiences, but the scrappy student newspaper at Washington University in St. Louis.  The pub is currently soaking in the national spotlight for its fantastic coverage of a major event (more on that in a moment).

But on a recent visit to its Web site, I came across a separate innovative new media content scheme definitely worth sharing: a staff editorial breaking down the major moments of the school year so far in the form of Facebook’s beloved News Feed.  Obviously it is campus-specific, so I have no clue what most status updates are about (anyone with the scoop on the Eleven Magazine update, I’m curious!), but the medium is the message here as a story/presentation idea for other SMOs (student media outlets) worldwide.

Scott Bressler is Cooler Than You :)

(Thanks to fantastic StudLife online editor Scott Bressler for passing along a more Web-friendly image.)

2 Responses to “Story Idea: Student Newspaper Presents Editorial as Facebook News Feed”
  1. Sam says:

Thanks for the shout out! For anyone interested in using this style, we’ve been getting great feedback about the StaffEd on campus. Full disclosure: credit for the original idea goes to Slate, though.

Also, if you’re interested in the Eleven Magazine story, you can check out http://www.studlife.com/news/2009/09/09/eleven-magazine-moves-on-without-su-recognition/

1. […] Editorial as Facebook News collegemediamatters.com […]