College Media Matters: My (Not Really) Goodbye Post

COLLEGE MEDIA BEAT

www.collegemediabeat.com

College Media Beat

I have been passionate about college journalism since high school.  As a junior and senior, I treasured the visits I made with my father to campuses throughout greater Philadelphia and beyond.  There is simply *something* about a lively campus that puts a smile on my face and a giddy-up in my heartbeat.  Some students on a college tour seek out the main academic buildings, the athletic facilities, the freshmen dorms. I searched for newsstands.

Campus newspapers (and magazines and broadcast stations and online outlets and individual blogs) are the lifeblood of every good college or university.  I felt I learned more about the schools I visited through one issue of a quality student paper than in a full tour, admissions rep sit-down, and Web site visit.  When I selected a college, I immediately sent an e-mail to the student newspaper’s faculty adviser requesting to be considered for the position of editor in chief. OK, so I overshot a little.  In my sophomore year, that dream came true.  Cue the smile, and the giddy-up. Both have not let up since.

I believe in the power of college media and the idealism and passion of student journalists.  Over the past year, I have greatly enjoyed blogging for CMM.  I truly now feel a part of a community of like-minded scholars, professionals, and students.  My immense thanks to Meredith Cochie at UF for her guidance early on (and for helping greatly with the header).  My sincere gratitude extends to many others for their interest and support, notably Bryan Murley at CICM, Daniel Bachhuber, David Wilensky, and  Steve Veres at UWIRE.

Speaking of UWIRE, I am taking the Jay Leno approach with my blog work.  It is not goodbye, but hello, again.  I am moving into prime time- from College Media Matters to College Media Beat, a fantastic (if I do say so myself) new blog covering college journalism in-depth, in the moment, and across all media.  It will be spirited.  It will be snarky.  It will be *something.* :)

Check it out:

COLLEGE MEDIA BEAT

www.collegemediabeat.com

College Media Beat