J-Student Spotlight: Julie Steinberg, Univ. of Pennsylvania, UWIRE 100

Julie Steinberg digs former U.S. President Martin Van Buren.  “I think he is underrated and deserves credit for his sideburns,” she said.  “I have no idea what he did politically.”

Van Buren was a chief architect of the Democratic Party and is one of only two individuals to serve as Secretary of State, Vice President, and President.  But he never interviewed Robert Pattinson.  Meet Steinberg, a recent graduate of the University of Pennsylvania who wrote an award-winning, ravenously read column for The Daily Pennsylvanian over the past year that touched on topics serious, random, and sideburn-free.  “Whether it be hard news pieces, opinion columns, magazine center spread features or film reviews, Julie writes with grace and wit,” one admiring j-student colleague notes.  Another shares: “She has a distinctive voice and style, which she works hard at, and even her most serious columns have an unexpected bite to them that’s undeniably ‘Julie.'”

For her undeniable column-tastic awesomeness and her impressive work as film editor for 34th Street Magazine, the DP’s arts and culture magazine, the 21-year-old native of Canada recently landed on the UWIRE 100, a listing of college media’s tippity-top cream of the crop. She also now shares space with her idol Van Buren (undoubtedly the realization of a lifelong dream) as the latest recipient of a CMM Student Journalist Spotlight.

Julie Steinberg is a former columnist for The Daily Pennsylvanian and a former film editor for 34th Street Magazine.

Martin Van Buren, eighth president, United States

Martin Van Buren is the eighth president of the U.S.

Write a six-word memoir of your student journalism experiences.

I haven’t been sued yet.  Tomorrow?

What is the best piece of journalism advice you’ve ever received or given?

It was a tough but important lesson.  No one, with the exception of your grandparents (hi Grandma June and Zaida), cares.  Grab your audience within the first sentence or you might as well end the piece there.

Memorable behind-the-scenes reporting moment.

I was mugged at gunpoint in a fairly respectable Philly neighborhood while reporting.  I was with a DP photographer, who told the mugger that he would fork over cash but not credit cards.  I never knew you could barter with robbers.  After the guy ran off, an elderly couple strolled by and told us to stop loitering.  It reminded me of the time Akon performed at Spring Fling and told us we needed to be more motivated.

What first sparked your passion for journalism?

When Dewey defeated Truman.

What are your predictions for the future of college journalism?

@Dan, keeping articles to 140 characters or less.  This might necessitate abolishing prepositions.

College newspapers in particular have been instrumental in facilitating the move from print to online content.  I think we’re going to see more blogs, more videos, more exploration of new media.  I’m in awe of the kids in our web design/tech department- they just know how to do everything.

What is one question we should all be asking much more often about the current state or future of journalism?

How can I make Anderson Cooper realize I’m the one?

You wake up in ten years. Where are you and what are you doing?

Standing in line for coffee and getting annoyed.  I have an appointment at 11.