“Boycott Mexico!!” Flier Rejected by Student Newspaper

It is apparently controversial fliers month in collegemediatopia, with another recent mini-brouhaha stemming from a flier/ad seen below.  Basically, a professor at California State University San Marcos and an activist friend wanted to warn students prior to Spring Break about the growing concerns and travel alerts centered on Mexico.

https://i0.wp.com/www.10news.com/2009/0319/18963133_240X135.jpg?resize=325%2C182

Of course, that information specifically is factual, and related reports are airing evermore frequently on CNN and in other outlets worldwide.  The problem, according to a San Marcos broadcast news outlet, is the flier’s back side, which contains anti-immigration sentiments including calling for a boycott of Mexico.  As the professor involved in the flier’s creation said: “A boycott of Mexico, a boycott of tourism in Mexico, as a way of putting pressure on the Mexican government, to behave with less hostility and less aggression towards the United States.”

The Pride student newspaper rejected the advertisement on principle. The student editor noted that, while it is factual, “I found the ad to be offensive to the audience we represent.”  Instead, the professor printed separate fliers, handed them out, and, you guessed it, media coverage commenced.

What do you think?  Should the student press reject ads based on their perceived offensiveness, even when no facts are mistaken?

2 Responses to ““Boycott Mexico!!” Flier Rejected by Student Newspaper”
  1. […] a step back.  Take a deep breath.  Accept the apology.  And realize, these things happen.  (One example.  One […]

2. […] a step back.  Take a deep breath.  Accept the apology.  And realize, these things happen.  (One example.  One […]