Student Media Fee Cuts Would Leave KU Outlets Limping

The student media have long been viewed as the beating hearts of higher education, pulsing at the center of nearly every first-rate university worldwide.  At the University of Kansas, trouble is brewing at this heart, in the form of a possible reduction or elimination of student media fees- fees that support the operating budgets and lifebloods of a number of student press outlets.

Among organizations and outlets that would be affected, either literally left for dead or just permanently “able to limp along” without funding from the fees: The Daily Kansan, KJHK campus radio (30,000 Lawrence-area listeners), a filmworks group, and a student literary magazine.

An editorial in The Kansan expresses understanding for the current bleak-ified economic outlook, but implores the student senate to reconsider:

[S]lashing the student media fee is a misguided solution that will result in fewer services from student media organizations, possible student job losses and a long-term reduction in student hiring by the organizations that receive money from the fee. . . [It would] also greatly damage the ability to provide news coverage to the student body as a whole.

2 Responses to “Student Media Fee Cuts Would Leave KU Outlets Limping”
  1. Greg Linch says:

The Miami Hurricane is in a similar situation, but we’re in no danger of such cuts. We’re funded (roughly 1/3 of revenue the last time I saw — other 2/3 from ads) by part of the student activity fee.

But, unlike at the University Kansas, Student Government cannot touch that money. Instead, it comes through the Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee, which is independent of SG.

Not bad, eh? Better yet, we don’t even go up for annual review — our funding was established by referendum. Thus, it would be quite an undertaking to cut our funds for any reason, economic or political.

Although we’re not financially independent, we are editorially independent. Overall, it works out pretty well for us.

1. […] – Direct appeals for renewed or increased student fees seem to be the most popular.  (See recent Daily Kansan editorial.)  Also appearing on the scene are what I’m calling the why-we’re-here editorials.  […]