Oregon Student Newspaper Goes on Strike, Protesting Publisher Position

The editorial staff of The Emerald, the student newspaper at the University of Oregon, is officially on strike.  As announced on the paper’s homepage:

The strike is in response to recent actions of the Emerald’s Board of Directors, which oversees the entire Emerald organization. This is the last edition of the Emerald we will publish until the board meets the four demands the entire newsroom staff presented to the board at its executive session meeting last night.

The demands are all related to the recent decision by the board to hire an interim publisher whose job description included oversight of the paper’s editorial content and involved a possible teaching position at UO.  All that spells HUGE conflict of interest possibilities that has Emeraldites, understandably, upset.

Let’s be clear: The drama is heavy.  The leading candidate for interim publisher has withdrawn from consideration.  The head of the publication’s board of directors has stepped down.  The board has released a statement saying it will not be “bullied and blackmailed.”  And coverage is growing locally and even nationally in less than 24 hours.

Here’s the Emerald staff strike blog, “Independent Journalism.”

CMM Statement of Support: The Emerald is far too important to student readers and college journalism to suffer even the slightest editorial interference, perceived or real.  Emeraldites, fight the good fight.  And make no mistake, you are involved in a revolution, one started decades before by student newspaper staffers who first battled for editorial independence. I have no doubt that your lack of publishing, the empty campus newsstands, the uber-media storm to come, will speak the loudest and help you retain your freedom.

5 Responses to “Oregon Student Newspaper Goes on Strike, Protesting Publisher Position”
  1. […] Picture Oregon Student Newspaper on Strike, Protesting Publisher Position « College Media Matters 3:18pm Source: collegemediamatters.com The editorial staff of The Emerald, the student newspaper […]

2. […] be (it has now been covered in the Eugene Weekly, the Oregonian, the Chronicle of Higher Education, College Media Matters, and other […]

3. […]  The paper’s adviser has quit and Cedars will cease publication.  It’s a risky move- one that worked most recently for The Daily Emerald at the University of Oregon, of course a much more high-profile student […]

4. […] As CMM and other outlets reported back in March, the Emerald temporarily stopped publishing in protest of its board’s attempts to name a publisher without properly addressing the publisher’s power over editorial content and possible conflicts of interest in respect to the person’s affiliation with the university.  Mediation ensued, an agreement was reached, and printing resumed.  And the latest step forward is Weinhold, an individual whom Emeraldites are expressing optimism about. […]

5. […] staffers at the University of Oregon started a blog during their high-profile newspaper strike last spring.  Michigan State students launched a blog over the summer reacting to drama in the […]