Journalism Still the Popular Kid in School

Even amid an industry-wide shrink-fest and an upside-down-inside-out topsy-turvydom to all-things-journalism, students still want to study the craft- more than ever.  It’s not a fluke.  It’s seemingly fact.  A sampling of recent reports:

As the Press Gazette report notes, in England, applications from students aspiring to obtain journalism degrees from the country’s universities are up 24 percent (?!?!) from last year, even while 1,000 j-jobs were shed in the UK since last summer.

Interim Dean of the University of Maryland’s Philip Merrill College of Journalism about the shrinking industry and current j-state (via Washington Post):   “Everyone is looking at it in horror.  It’s just a drumbeat, isn’t it?  It’s frightening. Yet our applications here at Merrill are up.  Students want to come to journalism.”

The School of Journalism & Mass Comm. at Colorado University also reports “an odd enrollment trend,” according to The Daily Camera (via Romenesko): “The number of students applying for the school is climbing.  Even more mystifying is the solid increase in the number of applicants who want to be ‘news-editorial’ majors, a degree track that has traditionally groomed graduates for newspaper jobs.”

The Daily Pennsylvanian reports: “Unlike in the rest of the world, journalism is thriving at Penn.”  The Annenberg School will soon potentially add a journalism minor to its famously non-journalistic slate of programs after a campus survey revealed ample student interest.  As the director of the university’s Center for Programs in Contemporary Writing told the DP: “‘There is a hunger for journalism.  I’m already meeting with people in the class of 2013′ interested in journalism.”

5 Responses to “Journalism Still the Popular Kid in School”
  1. […] reasoning not to pursue journalism degrees. I totally assumed that, and I was wrong. According to several schools in the US and the UK, those crazy foxes know something I don’t and are doing the lemming dance […]

2. […] not to oppose journalism degrees. I totally acknowledged that, and I was wrong. According to several schools in the US and the UK, those disturbed foxes undergo something I don’t and are doing the lemming […]

3. […] April 2, 2009 by Dan Reimold The big story of 2008-2009 in collegemediatopia: The existence of the first sustained crack in the student press economic bubble.  The big irony of 2008-2009 in collegemediatopia: Against the backdrop of a professional journalism sphere in which jobs, resources, and optimism are down, down, down, journalism school enrollment is up, up, up. […]

4. […] is relevant to anyone outside the industry, and often wonder if anyone is listening. Students are still flocking to universities to study it, despite all career-minded logic to the contrary (can’t answer this one, even for myself). […]

5. […] is relevant to anyone outside the industry, and often wonder if anyone is listening. Students are still flocking to universities to study it, despite all career-minded logic to the contrary (can’t answer this one, even for myself). […]