Twitter Takes the States, Plurk Rules in Southeast Asia

An excellent recent post by CICM intern Lauren Rabaino reveals in pie chart form what those of us following student media’s attempts at Twitter have long known: Is quality tweeting taking place?  Not so much.

Two-thirds of the 50 college media Twitter accounts Rabaino looked at are either solely serving as tiny-url advertisers for stories on the outlets’ sites or saying nothing at all.  The Daily Tar Heel‘s recent tweeterific real-time coverage of a campus bomb scare at UNC is proof that Twitter *can* be harnessed as a news tool at the student level.  Is it happening in any sustained sense as of yet?  I am a follower of most of the accounts cited in the Rabaino breakdown and I can safely say the answer is a resounding no.

—-

Now here in Singapore, Twitter is about as relevant as a winter coat.  The student-age social media elite of S’pore and Southeast Asia instead are (at times quite rabid) aficionados of a competing microblogging service: Plurk, the “social journal for your life.” I recently dove into the Plurk-osphere and want to boldly declare: It is FAR superior to Twitter in a number of ways.

Chief among them: It cuts down on the overwhelming randomness of Twitter-mania, providing a clear-cut timeline to follow and the ability to respond to specific plurks, building a much stronger sense of community.  In this latter respect, student bloggers here use the service to hype their posts and create quite a following, in part because they are able to communicate directly to their friends/fans much more conveniently than via the big T.  Also, an honest confession: I find Plurk simply to be a lot more fun than its chief competwitter.

What do you think- Twitter or Plurk?

9 Responses to “Twitter Takes the States, Plurk Rules in Southeast Asia”
  1. Thanks, Dan, for making reference to my recent post. I have a Plurk account but I never really got into it. Maybe I’ll have to take another look!

2. Daniel says:

Does Plurk offer SMS?

3. Dan Reimold says:

Yes, same as Twitter.

4. Dan Reimold says:

Lauren- Of course! Great work. I’d say take a stab at Plurk, but be forewarned: You will most likely be bored by it immediately. :) Why? Because no one from the states is on it! The key to Plurk’s success here, I guess similar to Twitter’s in the U.S., is that anyone who’s anyone is using it. I’d be interested to read about your take on it though if you decide to blog about it. – Dan

5. Dorothy says:

My vote: definitely Plurk for more engaging, localized conversations, but Twitter for skimming through information.

I could be wrong, but perhaps Plurk is big in this part of the world(Asia) simply because of the collectivistic culture versus a more individualistic culture in the west, where people might gravitate more towards airing their own views. Your thoughts?

P.s. Great to see you trying out Plurk, glad you’ve joined the dark side!

6. nalbageek says:

I realy like plurk ! It’s easier too make friend and grow up your network. Twitter is better to promote your blog.

but with plurk plugin you can twitt and plurk in the same time.

http://lunack.fr/2009/02/23/comment-twitter-et-facebooker-de-plurk/

7. Roni says:

Plurk RULES! I don’t get what is so great about Twitter. I can’t stand it. I prefer Plurk over Twitter, FB and myspace. Everyone shouls creat a plurk page and check it out!

1. […] media overall after a wave of excitement months back when a bunch of outlets started accounts.  Only a few outlets use it for anything more than advertising their stories.  The question: Has it simply not caught on yet or has it been […]

2. […] found an article about a social networking website known as Plurk which is apparently quite popular in Singapore.  […]