Bomb Threat Does Not Stop Daily Tar Heel from Publishing!

Do not mess with The Daily Tar Heel!  Student staffers at the venerable University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus newspaper were dealing with the usual stresses of a looming print deadline this past Sunday night.  And then the bomb dropped.  Or at least the threat of one, which forced the evacuation of a few UNC campus buildings, including the student union that houses the DTH newsroom.

—-

Instead of packing it in, the staff continued putting together the paper and being student journalists extraordinaire, on the street.  As DTH top ed. Allison Nichols told The News &  Observer in a very entertaining interview:

We assembled across the street from our office on Raleigh Road. . . . Literally under a street light.  We had a few computers and we were posting breaking news to our website. We were having folks call any spokesmen or all the various police units and so forth to figure out what was going on. We had people walking around in pairs trying to figure out where, exactly, the barriers were where you could and couldn’t go.

—-

They eventually put the print paper to bed at 5 a.m., four and a half hours after the normal 12:30 a.m. deadline.  In the interim, they updated the campus and outside world with real-time eyewitness Tweets and a story on the DTH Web site that received roughly 50 reader comments that night.  (Here’s a later version of the story basically summing everything up and a blog recount of what went down.)

—-

A true example of mobile journalism, in action.  In the long-term, I see an award or two looming.  In the short term, I see naps, lots of naps, for the staff.  Both will be well-deserved.

2 Responses to “Bomb Threat Does Not Stop Daily Tar Heel from Publishing!”
  1. dkzody says:

Good for all of you. It’s good to know that print journalism is thriving in some part of the world. 8-)

1. […] serving as tiny-url advertisers for stories on the outlets’ sites or saying nothing at all.  The Daily Tar Heel’s recent tweeterific real-time coverage of a campus bomb scare at UNC is proof that Twitter *can* be harnessed as a news […]