25 Random Things About Modern College Media: Part 2

Last week, I kicked off my list of “25 Random Things About Modern College Media,” putting a professional twist on the Facebook-centric personal list phenomenon that continues to give us insights into parts of people’s lives I had no idea I ever wanted to know about.  My dip into collegemediatopia randomness continues below, with Part 2:

—–

6) College media’s financial future is more sound (or just less bleak?) than their professional counterparts.  As I first wrote back in October (and again in November and again…), the once-indomitable economic spirit of collegemediatopia has cracked as of late under the heavy twin burdens of a crazy-huge recession and a print news meltdown.  But student pubs’ financial states are not being underwritten by the word hopelessness like the professional press (at least in print).  Why?  The $$$ bottom line is uber-low or non-existent at most college media outlets.  Does that ensure student-media-as-we-know-it’s survival long-term?  Absolutely not.  Does that mean they will outlast most professional press?  Absolutely.

—–

7) Stop posing, college yearbooks as we know it are outAs I have previously written, in the age of Facebook and cell phone cameras, traditional yearbooks are like TV antennas and Blockbuster Video: Cute for their quaintness but otherwise entirely outdated. And let’s be honest, they also tend to cost too darn much.

—–

8 ) And so are Fridays.  It’s long been the most hated school day of the week among even the most ambitious collegians, and yet the daily student papers have long churned out all the news considered a Friday fit.  Cue economic collapse.  Now top eds. at a number of papers are rethinking their Friday schemes and leaving their papers in bed.

—–

9) The blogosphere is abuzz with news and views in some way connected to collegemediatopia.  Along with CMM, there is CICM, College Rag, CMA’s “Blog Central“, U.S. News & World Report‘s “Paper Trail,” and the discussion happening over at CoPress, among others.  That’s not even counting the many, many, many individual j-student, j-prof, and j-school blogs.  I think it’s safe to say there has never been so much public talk about college media and the men and women who love them.

—–

10) Along with buzz, there is unparalleled support for student media.  In the states alone, there is the Student Press Law Center, College Media Advisers, Associated Collegiate Press, Intercollegiate Online News Network, UWire, and much, much more.  They are presenting j-students’ work, training them, connecting them with mentors and peers, and fighting for their rights to publish and present stories that occasionally piss off those in power behind the college gates.

——-

Any suggestions for items to add to the list???  Stay tuned for Part 3: The Harsh Truths.

One Response to “25 Random Things About Modern College Media: Part 2”
  1. […] with Part 3 of “25 Random Things About Modern College Media.”  (Also see Part 1 and Part 2.)  As promised, today’s segment is all about the tough love, presenting some of the harsher […]