“College Rag Wrap-Up”

I am back from a trip to Bali (where The Bali Times reports that Obama’s childhood friends in Indonesia always knew their young expat chum “Barry” had a “go global attitude“).

—-

My return to Singapore comes only one day after the launch of an interesting new feature from The Washington City Paper involving collegemediatopia: The College Rag Wrap-Up. In a brief intro at the start of the first post, City Paper describes the wrap-up as a weekly summary of “the most interesting stories from college newspapers” operating at schools in and around D.C.

—-

https://i2.wp.com/www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/files/2009/01/2598816622_048093aecb-300x199.jpg?resize=300%2C199

—-

The idea is sound. It’s a nice localization of The Paper Trail, one my favorite blogs, updated daily by a witty reporter at U.S. News & World Report. Paper Trail promises to “sift through thousands of student newspaper headlines every day to bring you the latest, most important, or just plain weirdest news from campuses across the country.”

——-

https://i0.wp.com/www.usnews.com/blog_dbimages/93/PaperTrail.jpg?resize=594%2C64

——-

At first glance, my suggestions for College Rag Wrap-Up:

—–

1) Include actual summaries of the stories! Give us context. Why should we care? Right now, it’s just a blah link listing.

—–

2) Talk about the journalism involved. What was especially fresh about the selected stories’ reporting, angling, or new media use?

—–

3) Think New Media! Why just a listing of college newspapers? A number of alt, indy, and Web 2.0 student press outlets are doing their thing in D.C. and beyond. If they’re generally trustworthy, highlight the news they’re presenting as well.

—–

4) Why weekly? Give people a reason to tune in more regularly. Instead of a link listing only the most rabid college news junkie will want to go through, summarize and link to a more palatable one or two stories a day.

One Response to ““College Rag Wrap-Up””
  1. Three out of four isn’t bad…

As for the fourth suggestion, I think my original idea was to make this sort of a digest of college news from the D.C. area – one-stop shopping so to speak, but if there is anything that deserves to be highlighted sooner than next Monday, I’ll be sure to point to it in a post.

Thanks for the feedback!