College Sports, Student Journalism, and School Spirit

The campus press and the campus athletics program have long co-existed at the epicenter of student life at schools worldwide.  Think about it: What other two entities on a typical campus bring students together as passionately and as regularly, entertains them or informs them quite as well, and creates a collective college experience that goes beyond the classroom and dorm?

———-

One grabs eyeballs and another plants butts in seats.  Both provide students with shared things to talk about.  Both ignite passions and stir debates.  Both give students something to do other than studying or paying attention in class.  And one needs the other: Especially at larger schools, the sports section is the student newspaper’s bread-and-butter.  While at smaller schools, student press coverage may be the only attention teams can hope to generate.

———-

All this by way of an introduction to a rah-rah editorial that I randomly came across and really enjoyed.  The Signpost student newspaper at Weber State in Utah ran an editorial in mid-month about the paltry attendance at student sporting events and the need for greater undergrad support, not simply for athletes’ sake but for the spirit of the school itself.

———-

The editorial’s start especially caught my eye.  Although aimed at introducing its pro-athletics pitch, the words to me ring deeper as the very purpose of the student press in general: “Being the student newspaper of Weber State University, The Signpost has an obligation to help students get the most out of their experience on campus.”