Why Saying Goodbye to Friday Edition Is A Good Thing

It was widely reported this past week that The Minnesota Daily at the University of Minnesota is dropping its regular Friday print edition to save money amid the economic and advertising downturns affecting student and professional newspapers.

———–

I don’t believe this is simply another sign that the student journalism apocalypse is upon us.  Saying goodbye to the Friday print edition is actually a good thing!  Two main reasons:

———–

1) In today’s uber-cluttered journalism landscape, the old media model of creating content to fit a designated time and space is out of sync with what modern news readers want.  We want to read news that MATTERS to us.  That means less can be more when it comes to creating a new media brand for your student news outlet.  The who-cares content that has far too long frequented newspaper pages simply because there is space to fill or another day’s issue to put out is a thing of the past.  The Daily now has more of an opportunity to fill their remaining print issues each week with only the stories that matter most to its readers, leaving the crappier content out of print, as it belongs.

———–

The Minnesota Daily———–

2) As The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported, the loss of one day per week in print will lead to a push by the student paper to beef up its online presence.  It’s no secret that the print journalism universe has been slow to adapt to the new media cosmos that now controls it.  A loss of a day per week in print is just the type of push traditional journalism needs to snap out of its old media stasis and further jump into the new media fray.  The Daily now has more of a tangible reason than ever to reinvent the way they do things and how they present their final product.  Good luck!

One Response to “Why Saying Goodbye to Friday Edition Is A Good Thing”
  1. […] In a recent post, I shared why I believe saying goodbye to the Friday edition might actually be the best thing to happen to student daily papers in years.  In part, it is because in today’s uber-cluttered journalism landscape, the old media model of creating content to fit a designated time and space is out of sync with what modern news readers want.  We want to read news that MATTERS to us.  That means less can be more when it comes to creating a new media brand for your student news outlet.  The who-cares content that has far too long frequented newspaper pages simply because there is space to fill or another day’s issue to put out is a thing of the past.  The Friday-less student press now has more of an opportunity to fill their remaining print issues each week with only the stories that matter most to its readers, leaving the crappier content out of print, as it belongs. […]